New boiler with a fancy flue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am thinking about moving my boiler to a more convenient location in the centre of the building as the current one is almost as big as a house and has a very noisy dilution flue on it.

I want to locate it in the centre of the building approximately 4m from the nearest wall. The wall has windows to the side and above

The output on the boiler needs to be about 90kW. My question is, is this possible for a plumber to do? with a nice quiet wall mounted system that wont wake up the whole of sheffield when it starts up screaming and crying on a frosty morning.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I would fit two smaller (2x40kw) boilers using an intelligent control system rather than one 90kw. How big is the property?

Hi,

11M x 10M over 3 floors, no cavity walls and absolutely mahoosive draughty single glazed sash windows which cannot be replaced.

Intelligent heating controls sounds expensive. There is only one zone on the system but I would like some sort of stat to shut the boiler down when the outside temperature reaches about 14C

Agreed a couple of Broag, would be perfect for the job.

Sponsored Links
Why 2, wouldnt a Quinta 115 or a 85 do?

I could use the concentric flue but I thought they had to be away from windows and nowhere below a window or has this changed since it is a fanned flue?

Two smaller boilers on a header will save you a fortune on gas bills, as 90% of the year you only need the one boiler

11M x 10M over 3 floors, no cavity walls and absolutely mahoosive draughty single glazed sash windows which cannot be replaced.
Where did you get 90kW from?

The whole house boiler calculator at http://www.sedbuk.com/ comes up with less than 50kW for a detached house your size and type in the North/Midlands!

Intelligent heating controls sounds expensive. There is only one zone on the system but I would like some sort of stat to shut the boiler down when the outside temperature reaches about 14C
Your total floor area is 330M². Current regulations state that new installations over 150M² should be divided into at least two zones with separate time and temperature control. However this does not apply if the boiler only is being replaced. But it is something you should think about, along with TRVs, cylinder thermostats etc etc.

Hi,

The reason I mentioned 90kW is because I currently have a 90kW boiler in! It is not a very warm building and has radiators everywhere which dont get particularly hot, they all have TRVs on which need a spot of percussive maintenance every now and again.

The water is heated by an electric megaflo so thats not really a concern

Did your calculation take account for the antique windows of colossal proportions? almost the entire front elevation is glass 16' high windows for the ground and first floors (comlete with ventillation gaps ;) )

11m x 10m, have you just measured one room? or is your house a bit on the small side. If your measurements are ok go to the sedbuk site and use whole house calc as suggested by D_H.

John

11m x 10m, have you just measured one room? or is your house a bit on the small side. If your measurements are ok go to the sedbuk site and use whole house calc as suggested by D_H.

John
11m=36ft
10m=33ft

That not exactly a smallhouse - unless your are Katy and Peter!

Did your calculation take account for the antique windows of colossal proportions? almost the entire front elevation is glass 16' high windows for the ground and first floors (comlete with ventillation gaps ;) )

Why not go to the web site and do the calculation yourself, then you can make sure it takes account of your huge windows!

PS Have you thought about draught proofing your windows? Not very expensive and will easily pay for itself!

The water is heated by an electric megaflo

That sound bloody expensive to run to... sounds like the whole system needs an improvement... put in an indirect cylinder and heat it from the new boiler would save ££££'s on your bills.

PS 90KW... sure your gas meter is up to it... is it a U6 or U16 size meter??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back