New boiler with a fancy flue

but the drafts add character! and the windows are listed so I cant alter them. The windows are due for a fettle so that should help. Yes, I didnt think it was especially small, 3 floors and a basement.

Id rather pay for the drafts than stick bristly strips on the windows :) Next, you will be suggesting energy saving lamps! (We have MH lighting)

I think more investigation is required but at least I know the principle will work

Sponsored Links
10 bob says you don't have a 90Kw boiler.
5 bob says it's 90,000Btu.
U6 meter can't handle 90Kw, and domestic RGI can't touch it.

Its output is about 350,000Btu, i dont have a U6 meter, its a big fat one with 35mm copper. I dont let a domestic RGI work on it either, I use a commercial one.

I would still fit two smaller boilers, one boiler will run the heating with the other kicking in as and when it gets really cold.

Sponsored Links
but the drafts add character!

Only if you are a public school boy! What is it with you British, you are determined to be cold and miserable so that you can keep scabby old wooden sash windows which jam in the summer so that you can't open them and then blow a gale through them in the Winter.

Forget the boiler.. just buy a Parka, gloves and fur booties... Or just drive a dozer through the building by accident and build a nice new warm house.

10 bob says you don't have a 90Kw boiler.
5 bob says it's 90,000Btu.
U6 meter can't handle 90Kw, and domestic RGI can't touch it.

It is probably a 90 kW 'INPUT' which at say, 60% efficiency could be more like an 'OUTPUT' of 50-60kW

Do check and investigate further

its the output, not the input wich is about 35% more.

I went to a comp

I might get some booties, but only because I like the sound of the word!

Its not actually my house, its a house that is used as a meeting place and the such like. The other possibility that I am considering is to fit a ducted heat pump for each floor then I wont have to unjam and repair the sash cords in the summer although it is funny when they try to cut someones head off.

Still doesn't add up.
90Kw is far too much for a building that size, yet you say the radiators never get really hot.
You need to get a decent heating engineer in to assess your needs and advise accordingly.
A non domestic building will need a different set up to a house of any size.

No.. its the input that is more, which is why the output is less i.e. 100kW input boiler at 85% efficiency means that it has an output of 85kW (a lesser figure!)

:LOL:

No.. it's the input that is more, which is why the output is less i.e. 100kW input boiler at 85% efficiency means that it has an output of 85kW (a lesser figure!)
That's what he said. :!:
the input which is about 35% more

You have only cut out the last part of the sentence... he said:

You have only cut out the last part of the sentence... he said:
I know he said that and if you parse the phrase correctly, he is saying that the input is 35% more, not the output. You are adding an extra comma so it appears to read:
it's the output, not the input, which is 35% more.

To clarify, the output is 90kW and the input is some 35% less ;)

I may not be a physics genius, but I can work that out!

Thanks for the valuable advice by the way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back