New Boy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

I'm farily new to this game. attanding college atm! found the site and have been surfing thorugh it. there are a lot of people here with a lot of know how. i just wonderd....

how many of you guys are actually sparkys?

how many of you guys are just people with brains? ;)

what sort of issues are open for discussion etc?

are there any similar forums to this one?

cheers

Sponsored Links
1) Not me yet.... see my sig

2) I think I have one, wait a sec, let me check :LOL:

3) Generally anything to do with electrical installation, but obviously this site has a strong domestic bias, and issues such as harmonic currents in three phase installations supplying technology equipment will be of no interest to the general readership

4)

http://www.screwfix.com/talk/index.jspa
http://www.iee.org/forums

Bright_Spark said:
Hi all.

I'm farily new to this game. attanding college atm! found the site and have been surfing thorugh it. there are a lot of people here with a lot of know how. i just wonderd....

how many of you guys are actually sparkys?

I am

how many of you guys are just people with brains? ;)

I think I've got one of those too

what sort of issues are open for discussion etc?

Anything concering electrics in the UK (domestic mainly but you can get away with commercial bits if you're quiet) in this bit, or all sorts in the main bit of the forum.

are there any similar forums to this one?

Yep. Screwfix have one aswell. There are probably more besides.

It's ok

Ahh thats cool.

Im not into 3 phase. ive learnt about it. but i think id rather be involved in the domestic side...the fewer voltz the better ;)

have u done any work like this before?

Sponsored Links
1) Sparks here :)

2) I hire my brain from HSS

3)I have 15 sockets I want to run from my light switch - how do I do this - oh and it's in the garden - is this ok?

If you can answer that then you'll fit in fine 'round 'ere ;)

4) Screwfix and IEE

Prost!

Bright_Spark said:
Im not into 3 phase. ive learnt about it. but i think id rather be involved in the domestic side...the fewer voltz the better ;)
I love 3 phase. The more volts the better for me :eek: I steer clear of domestic as much as I can. I just want an easy life. :D

This site for helping, and asking DIY.

IEE for (mostly) proper discussions of the regs and technical issues

Screwfix for a lot of shouting, arguing, and people trying to prove that they are better sparks than everyone else, and constantly forming, and re-forming little cliques.

As for me, I'm not a sparks, but I like to think I have a brain..

lol,
I have to back that one up about screwfix forum, picture that scene in apocalypse now were martin sheen is going up the red river delta to assasinate marlon brando, thats how your head will feel if you go to
APOCALYPSE SCREWFIX

the_jinj said:
1) 3)I have 15 sockets I want to run from my light switch - how do I do this - oh and it's in the garden - is this ok?

1.5mm cable, dont bother about the protective device "it'll be reit" just splice into the switch feed on the lights. bit of electrical tape..the more colours the better - that green/yellow striped stuff looks nice!

plastic sockets for outside...dont bother with all the IP b****cks - just whack em in where u want em...

think ive covered most of it? lemme know if i havnt :LOL: ;) :D :p

RF Lighting said:
Bright_Spark said:
I love 3 phase. The more volts the better for me :eek: I steer clear of domestic as much as I can. I just want an easy life. :D

youve opened a can of worms for me there RF....why do u find domestic such hassle?

any other major certificates needed to work with 3 phase apart from 2330, 2391 and 16th edition (i forget its 4 digit number)

any dangerous work area permits or owt along those lines?

Bright_Spark said:
why do u find domestic such hassle?

Moving furniture, saving decorations, rolling carpets, lifting floors, putting it all back, vaccuming up then repeat every single night, crawling under floors and in lofts, irritating women wittering about noise / dust, having to get power on every night......you get the idea (I don't mind the odd empty rewire having said all that)

any other major certificates needed to work with 3 phase apart from 2330, 2391 and 16th edition (i forget its 4 digit number)

I beleive as long as you are a qualified electrician to 16th edition then you will be ok. You need to be in compliance with the EAW regs (but this applies for working on any electrical installation though). You will need 2391 to self certify though.

any dangerous work area permits or owt along those lines?

Depends purely on what the job involves.

Interesting...regarding the domestic work. Id like to do new builds i think...first fixing and second fixing isnt as hard when theres nothing in the way...

i get what u mean by moving furnature etc...i used to install alarms and we did a lot of moving stuff about, which come to think of it got a bit tedius but at that stage i was like "jobs a job" but now im venturing into the world of electrics.

i already do a bit of CCTV and Audio/visual (sound systems to pubs n clubs) through my fathers firm...so im going to persue that further too.

tell me...i find that doin installs...whacking a punter for installation costs is where u make the money...?

I would do new builds all day long. (I don't class that as domestic work as it's site work in my mind)

Don't quite understand your last bit

sorry, think that was my yorkshire speak comming into play....do i take it a sparky makes his money on installation costs? £/hour? or on materials mark up or a bit of both?

btw...electrical testers...im trying to find a 'cheap' one that complies with part p and that does all the part p required tests? any suggestions?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back