New Build - Dual Zone conversion to Single for Drayton Wiser

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All - hoping for some guidance please on wiring up a new Drayton Wiser system to what I believe is an "S Plan" system.

I live in a new build, with an Ideal Logic Combi 35 downstairs, with 2 heating zones - one for downstairs, one for upstairs. There is a (wired) battery powered ESI ESRTP4 thermostat in the hallway downstairs, and another in the master bedroom, which control each zone as a whole. The radiators in the hallway and master bedroom do NOT have TRVs on, but all radiators others do.

As part of my move to Drayton Wiser, I wish to bypass the zone valves, reverting back to a single zone (and purchasing the cheaper single channel Wiser kit rather that the more expensive multizone kit). This will allow me to install new wireless thermostats in both the master bedroom and the hallway, and install new smart Wiser TRVs to the rest of the radiators, giving me full house, room by room control, something which would not be possible without converting back to a single zone (e.g. master bedroom off would turn off ALL of upstairs).

My question is - can I wire both valves together so both open on a call for heat, thus achieving my goal?

I have found what appears to be my "wiring centre" upstairs next to the 2 zone valves - it seems my particular wiring centre is a little untidy, and being a new build, it seems like I do not have an existing programmer so do not have the "industry standard" backplate to make the installation easier as described in the Drayton Wiser install guide.

The pictures attached show my wiring centre - with the cabling from the 2 zone valves coming in from the base - can anyone help me identify what needs to be done to achieve the "bypass"?

Also, if anyone knows from these pictures exactly how to wire up the Drayton Wiser hub to this that would be great, including the removal of the 2 current stats. I've also included a picture of the wires currently going to the back of the master bedroom thermostat if helpful.

Many thanks in advance for any help received!

Attachments

• IMG_0201.jpg
    IMG_0201.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_0202.jpg
    IMG_0202.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_0203.jpg
    IMG_0203.jpg
    268.6 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_0204.jpg
    IMG_0204.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_0207.jpg
    IMG_0207.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 109
Sponsored Links
What year new build? A 35 is likely to be an absolutely massive boiler for a new build and adding smart TRVs will make your cycling issues worse.

You should look to add weather compensation to the boiler so at least you space heating is modulated.

Unbelievable that in the 21st century S plan is still being installed.

What year new build? A 35 is likely to be an absolutely massive boiler for a new build and adding smart TRVs will make your cycling issues worse.

You should look to add weather compensation to the boiler so at least you space heating is modulated.

Unbelievable that in the 21st century S plan is still being installed.
Depends if heating has been range rated, 35kw will be for hot water delivery. As for S-plan, it is/was a requirement to have zonal heating under building regulations. I seem to think OP has sorted this too, might have been another forum.

Yeah range rated to 7.5 kw which is still absolutely ridiculous for almost all the year.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
This will allow me to install new wireless thermostats in both the master bedroom and the hallway,
And how are these thermostats going to control anything if you dont have zone valves ? if you want to use Drayton wiser you will have to use wiser Trvs on all the rads and control individual room using the App

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
As above, if you go the full Wiser route (WiFi TRVs everywhere) you don't need room stats.
In your pic 2 if you pair the 2 brown wires together and link them to the call for heat terminal on the Wiser that'll be the zone valves paralleled.

Hi all,

Appreciate the input here - as mentioned I also posed this question elsewhere and have now completed the work, joining / bypassing the zone valves and installed the Wiser Kit 1. I just need to replace my existing TRVs with the Wiser ones to complete my desired setup.

If anyone has any questions I would be happy to answer them.

Thanks

Hi all,

Appreciate the input here - as mentioned I also posed this question elsewhere and have now completed the work, joining / bypassing the zone valves and installed the Wiser Kit 1. I just need to replace my existing TRVs with the Wiser ones to complete my desired setup.

If anyone has any questions I would be happy to answer them.

Thanks
Hi Andy,

As it happens, I have exactly the same boiler, thermostats, zones (up/down), and even bypassed radiator setups (are we on the same estate?!?). I'd be interested to see how you got around this. I was thinking I could just install the Wiser receiver under the boiler, tapping the boiler mains feed and running a new switch cable, and then turning off the 240V feed to the wiring centre and valves upstairs, and finally manually opening the valves fully on the motor body. I'd just leave everything in place, and then use exclusively Wiser TRVs to call for heating as needed. It seems to be a slightly odd setup that the wiring centre upstairs and boiler have their own switched mains but there we are.

Our master bed is south-facing which seems sub-optimal to have the thermostat and bypass rad in there so I wonder if we'll be losing much control. We've only been in for a few months so don't know how the heating will be over the winter, or be able to compare if I were to get the Drayton system in before we have the heating on later this year.

Hi Andy,

As it happens, I have exactly the same boiler, thermostats, zones (up/down), and even bypassed radiator setups (are we on the same estate?!?). I'd be interested to see how you got around this. I was thinking I could just install the Wiser receiver under the boiler, tapping the boiler mains feed and running a new switch cable, and then turning off the 240V feed to the wiring centre and valves upstairs, and finally manually opening the valves fully on the motor body. I'd just leave everything in place, and then use exclusively Wiser TRVs to call for heating as needed. It seems to be a slightly odd setup that the wiring centre upstairs and boiler have their own switched mains but there we are.

Our master bed is south-facing which seems sub-optimal to have the thermostat and bypass rad in there so I wonder if we'll be losing much control. We've only been in for a few months so don't know how the heating will be over the winter, or be able to compare if I were to get the Drayton system in before we have the heating on later this year.
PM'd you

Thanks

Andy

PM'd you

Thanks

Andy
Hi Andy,

Would you mind slinging me via copy and paste whatever you sent the other bloke?

I've completed on my house, moving in at the end of the month and trying to get my ducks in a row for the Drayton system.

Can't confirm if the wiring centre is upstairs, but I do have 2 zones (up/down) and a Logic Combi 30, so I am sure whatever you have will be helpful!

Which radiator have you found to be optimal as the bypass rad? Also, how has the system been for you? I was planning on just whacking TRVs on all my radiators for room by room control and purchasing a Drayton Wiser smart plug to boost the signal if I had any signal issues.

Cheers!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back