New Cable needed??

Secure - I take your comments constructively, thank you. I do think only 1 is possibly valid, though. The OP has specified the total fused load in this unit is 65Amps (a 45A, 15A and 5A) no diversity applied. This is less than such a unit could be facing with 2 x 30A ccts and 2 X 5A ccts - I cannot see that the size of the tails, which will have been fused accordingly by the DNO, is going to be a limiting factor.

The point re the switch's 63Amp continuous load limit and the fusing limit was/is, AFAIK, a limit applied to BS3036 rewirable fuses, based on the peak let through current and the time current characteristics of the fuse (for the same reason that a .725 rating factor is applied for cable sizes protected thereby - which requires a 30A cct to be cabled as if the peak load were 42A). Whether this design resulted from the fact that fuse wire came in a 30A size or vice versa I don't know. I've just been through the, limited, Wylex data I have here and cannot find it listed as a limit with Wylex listing a 45A cartridge fuse for use with this kit. I will check this with Wylex on Mon, but, as I say, there's no indication of it in the Wylex docs I have. The CU, other than this switch, is not limited.

It is a fact, though, that many many of these units had cooker ccts installed right from the start - fused as this OP's is. If you had been called to this OP's house to disconnect the old cooker and connect his new, would you have refused to do it? Would you have disconnected the existing cooker and left it disconnected for the reasons you give above?
It would not have been any less safe or compliant after the new cooker had been installed than before - or indeed, in any way, unsafe, IMVHO, but I will confirm with Wylex and post their reply asap (even if it proves me to have been talking OOMA).

Sponsored Links
couple of points:

The main switch on the early and small Wylex Standards was a weedy little thing. The terminals bars for Earth and Neutral are also very small - will fit a 6mm with ease, a 10mm sometimes, and a 16mm not at all. If he has one of the old/small ones it is due for replacement by now.

Do I believe the OP has all the sockets in his house on a 15A fuse? So that kettle + toaster on at the same time re an overload? Or do I perhaps think that he has made a mistake and there might be a 15A immersion heater as well as a 30A socket ring?

didthathurt said:
It is a fact, though, that many many of these units had cooker ccts installed right from the start - fused as this OP's is.

Not sure that is correct.

If the board is a sub-100A board, it is my understanding that the ways will not accept a fuse shield bigger than 32A - they have a tab to stop this: the newer boards with 100A capacity are designed to accept these shields. The only way to fit one of these shields on an older board is to snap off that tab. Otherwise, the shield does not fit correctly.

As far as my experience has proved, all older sub-100A boards were originally wired up with a maximum of 30A 3036 fuse, maybe later changed to a 3871/60898 32A MCB. If these boards have been fitted with higher rated devices, it will have been at a later date, when the circuit has been incorrectly upgraded for a bigger cooker/shower.

When calling Wylex, the best person to speak to is Ian Kenworthy (what he doesn't know about Wylex is not worth knowing!), but he only works part time. Think Tues/Thurs rings a bell...

we could ask the OP to remove the shield and see if the tab is intact....that would clear it up!!

Sponsored Links
Sorry I did make a mistake on my listing of the fuses installed. It has a 5A for lighting, 30A for mains sockets and 45A for cooker.

Sorry if I am causing problems with this post, I am getting very confused with your techinal converstaions.

I just assumed that it would not be a problem as if anything the new oven would use less power?

If you guys were to give your gut answer what would the answer be. Is the new cooker likely to not work?

Thanks again for your answers much apprecaited.

No. It will work, but basically what we're debating is whether the CU you have is designed to take a load higher the 30/32A.

Didthathurt will contact Wylex to double check.

In the meantime, could you (after having turned off the main switch to the CU) remove the 45A device for the cooker, unscrew the fuse shield and tell us if the tab on the back is intact, or whether there are signs of it being broken off?

If you could do that it may help us clear up the confusion about loading on your CU.

Have spoken to Ian Kenworthy at Electrium and have the following info.

The original Wylex 606 was designed to take no more than a 30Amp fuse holder - the cartridge fuse holder still had the tab, so, whoever fitted the 45Amp fuse did, almost certainly, remove the tab. Later 606's may have had 100Amp isolators and a different connection layout though 63Amp switches could be fitted to these boxes, and vice versa.

The 30Amp restriction was due to the potential overall overload created by havin 6 ccts in this box in a normal household situation - the 60Amp/63Amp main switches are, technically, fully capable of bearing whatever fault current may be placed on them with a 45Amp fuse without any damage or failure in the switch (for the OP, the concern would be an overload current welding the switch terminals together so you couldn't isolate the fuses or the switch being otherwise physically damaged). I explained this situation to Wylex and they said

1.That there is no actual danger here and the box is capable of taking the current load - diversity can be applied for the cooker circuit and the box loading, here, comes out as 55Amps.

2. That said, a 45Amp fused circuit in a Wylex 606 is outside of the manufacturers specifications - but it is not too unusual to find one fitted to these boxes - and no additional circuitry on this CU should be contemplated.

3. It would be advisable for this box to be replaced at the next convenient opportunity - but it is neither necessary nor imperative to do so at this juncture.

4. No additional circuits should be added to this setup for any reason.

So, almagamating all the professional opinion that has been expressed here; for the OP, yes you can go ahead and replace the cooker but you need to arrange for local tradesmen to quote for a replacement CU at some point in the not too distant future.

Does that give a fair appraisal from your points of view Secure and JohnD?

Thanks for all your help with this, that puts my mind at rest. Its only a small flat so hopefully it shouldnt overload it.

This a great site and would reccomend it to anyone.

Once again thanks for everthing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back