New Cable needed??

Sorry me again, I know I have just posted about this but thought I would reply on this as people have some history about my setup.

How is best to wire the new hob and oven, at the moment I only have one cable coming from the conenction unit to the oven which goes back to the 45A fuse. Someone mentioned you can get a cooker connection unint that allows 2 conenctions, would this be ok going back to the 45A fuse or is it too high.

thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
If I may come in here, gents (you guys may want a break from this one!):

To the OP, can you tell us what exactly the power rating for each item is?

I imagine the hob will be about 6kW, therefore drawing around 25A max. The oven, around 2kW, drawing about 8A. That would be a total of 33A before applying diversity, so I would suggest, unless the actual figures are significantly greater than my guesses, that a 30/32A circuit breaker would be fine.
This would also offer the correct protection for 6mm² T&E, which is only supposed to carry 38A max unless clipped direct to a wall, which it probably isn't (BS7671 regulations).

But get that fuse box changed to a modern consumer unit as soon as you can afford it. Also, the cable ought to be checked for its integrity, re insulation resistance, etc (but I guess it's been fine so far...).

As far as connection options, there are several, but first let's have the ratings.

Hope this helps :)

Don't forget the photo!

John's drooling with antici........pation!

Hi,

At the moment the cable comes from the cooker into the cooker conenction unit and then back to the fuse box with a 45A fuse. From what you are saying this is a too high a fuse? I only know that the hob is 5.8Kw not sure about the oven but it is a single fan oven so probably no where near the hob. Does that mean that the setup at the moment is wrong and that I would need a lower amp fuse. If so what ampage would this be and can you still get the old style plug in fuses.

Please can you also explain the best way to wire up the hob and oven

Also can some one tell me how to upload a picture?

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
pcharles said:
Hi,
Also can some one tell me how to upload a picture?
Thanks again.

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8463

Dewy said:
I upload all my photos to www.photobucket.com
Once there, the URL including the IMG tags are already shown under the pic so can be copied/pasted without needing to highlight the uRL in a post then add the tags.

MonaLisa6.gif

And if you put in (with an "[" instead of the "*"
*IMG]http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n228/JohnD_UK/closedown.png[/IMG]

you get

closedown.png

Sorry That was me praticing, here are the pictures:

The current cooker

DSC00159.jpg

The current cooker, name:

DSC00158.jpg

The point behind the cooker where cable goes

DSC00157.jpg

The switch:
CCP.jpg

DSC02072.jpg

My question is:

At the moment the cable comes from the cooker into the cooker conenction unit and then back to the fuse box with a 45A fuse. From what you are saying this is a too high a fuse? I only know that the hob is 5.8Kw not sure about the oven but it is a single fan oven so probably no where near the hob. Does that mean that the setup at the moment is wrong and that I would need a lower amp fuse. If so what ampage would this be and can you still get the old style plug in fuses.

Thanks again everyone

Sorry is there anyone out there that would like to a comment on this subject no the lovely pictures have been uploaded?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back