new camera advice please!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok chaps keep this simple, as im thick when it comes to technology. Im the bloke that buys a betamax the day after they announce their decline, an analogue telly after they go digtal etc etc :LOL:

For my birthday mrs thermo has agreed that i can have a new camera.

I would like a digital SLR one. i have a budget of about £300-£400.

I dont care if it has a plastic or metal body!

any tips to look out for or ones to avoid!

cheers

Thermo

Sponsored Links
ok ill write that one down, thankyou
.....no....film......

Ok chaps keep this simple, as im thick when it comes to technology. Im the bloke that buys a betamax the day after they announce their decline, an analogue telly after they go digtal etc etc :LOL:

For my birthday mrs thermo has agreed that i can have a new camera.

I would like a digital SLR one. i have a budget of about £300-£400.

I dont care if it has a plastic or metal body!

any tips to look out for or ones to avoid!

cheers

Thermo

http://www.cameras.co.uk/html/slr-cameras.cfm

Sponsored Links
"Which" did a test on them last week

You'll have to go to the library to read the full report, but Best Buy DSLRs were:

Canon EOS 350D + 18-55mm EF-S
Price: £350
Score: 78%

Sony alpha 700 + 18-70mm DT
Price: £1,100
Score: 78%

Nikon D50 Kit DX 18-55mm ED
Price: £410
Score: 77%

Canon EOS 40D + 17-85mm EF-S IS USM
Price: £970
Score: 76%

Panasonic Lumix DMC-L10 + Leica D14-50mm
Price: £850
Score: 75%

Nikon D40x Kit DX 18-55mm EDII
Price: £400
Score: 74%

Megapixels aren't all they're cracked up to be.

Buy the best lens(es) you can afford.

For the technologically challenged.....

kodak-brownie-box-camera.jpg

Ah the old Brownie, didnt have to hold it up to the eye to see the image in the viewfinder, and you didnt have to worry about the drain on batteries(didnt have any) like when using todays ones with the screens ;)
Miss the action of winding on the film between takes, they should supply the handle on the latest cameras even if it does nothing just for backwards compatibility ;) :D

My personal preference would be that you can't go wrong with a Nikon - I wouldn't go for Sony or any cameras that use XD cards - you want SD or MicroSD. This is particularly true if you are used to a standard film SLR as the Nikon's controls can be set in the same way i.e. film speed/exposure, f-stop settings etc.

Megapixels are one thing but Lens size and quality is just as important - e.g. a 5.2 Mp Nikon compact with Nikkor lens gives about the same quality as a 7Mp Kodak with Kodak lense.

Basically rule of thumb is if it's an established/old camera brand e.g. Nikon, Canon, Pentax etc. you're OK with the lenses, if it's an electronics company e.g. Sony, Samsung etc. then go for one with Carl Zeiss etc. lenses

With the stuff available today I have more fun from this 2003 vintage :-
ZC55A.JPG

Click Fits my pocket - a plus... 'Twas 600 holes tho' - how times change.

BTW I have an OM-1 SLR plus several Zuiko lenses bought in early 80's - lovely piece of kit - BUT it doesn't fit the pocket like the Camedia above.

I would really think long and hard about my reasons for buying an SLR today... 'Boyz toy' or real requirement?
-0-

Purchased Nikon D300 couple of weeks ago.

Already have two nokons (35mm) but digital knocks the spots off them. Very simple to use. Very quiet. Well impressed

look at the batteries

a camera eats them.
rechargeable would be the first thing on my list.

ive got a top class minolta SLR, my daughter has a canon digital SLR,
my nephew a samsung SLR.
theres not much to choose in terms of quality imo but the samsung costs a lot to run and is never 'ready to go' because of the battery problem/consumption.

call your local college, a lot of kids buy a camera to do a photography course that they can drop after a year so they concentrate on the harder basic lessons.
the cameras then become exercise machines..... they collect dust and never get looked at again.

i found this out £500 later :cry: :cry:

Re batteries - most Nikons seem to come with rechargeable Li-ion batteries and on my compact 5Mp Nikon last a very good time - I only had to recharge once during a two week holiday and took a lot of pics.

I would say Li-Ions are a must

if your not up on the tech side of things,go for the canon g9

Sponsored Links
Back