new camera advice please!

Thanks for all the replies so far, i did have in mind a nikon, olympus or canon, so all advice is very helpful.

As to wether i need one, well ive got a small hand held digital one thats used for work and holidays etc, but ive always had an intrest in taking decent photos, and i suppose im at an age where i can afford it and try it!

Sponsored Links
If you want to play and have decent photos - its got to be an slr.

Nikon is tops but lens are that much more expensive.

Canon always comes our best value for money.

Don't buy the canon 'kit' lens as the quality is not always that good and the lens is where you must spend the money not the body.

The canon 350d has already been superceded by the 400d and the 450d is out next month. So shop around for a good deal on the 400d body.

Sigma do some really good lenses which are less expensive than the Canon equivalent. There is an excellent Sigma 17/70mm zoom lens that knock spots of the 'kit' 18/55mm lens. Then save a bit more money and get the Sigma 70/300 to complement 17/70 (but if you do go the Nikon route both these Sigma lenses come in Nikon fit as well).

Two excellent sites (1) for research www.photozone.de and (2) for purchase, as they also do good second hand stuff, www.mifsuds.com[/b]

If you are buying a dSLR, then you are not just buying a camera, you are buying into a system. So you need to consider what you will be doing with it.

Canon and Nikon are market leaders and have an enormous lens and accessory list, but do you need all this? All the other systems have enough gear and accessories for the keen amateur

Although Canon and Nikon are in vogue, they do little which any of the other big names can't do. IMO, the only need to buy into Canon or Nikon is to access the huge range of lenses and accessories. If you will only be using a single or just two kit lenses, then there may be better cameras for your purpose.

Any dSLR is going to do general photography well, so it comes down to price and features.

Some have in-body image stabilisation so every lens will be stabilised, others will have the stabilisation in the lens, so you have to buy these lenses to get the stabilisation.

Some have 'live view' which allows the screen to display the viewfinder image (like most compact cameras), others do not and you must use the viewfinder. The Olympus E3 and Panasonic LC10 have fold out screens - great for overhead or low-level pictures

Many bodys are really heavy - more so with a lens. The Olympus e410 is the smallest and lightest body around (half the weight of many others)

And don't get caught up in all the pedantry about sensor size, sensor type, image noise etc, and 'poor' lenses. A 3mp sensor and a good modern lens is more than enough for 90% of all photography - so all todays dSLR's will be fine. Same for lenses, there are some better than others, but kit lenses still produce acceptable images

Ive got a Nikon D40X its brilliant and the smallest DSLR around

Sponsored Links
I would rather suggest that you dont buy one yet but go on a photography course locally to learn more about the hobby/profession.

When I was a student I shared a room with this fellow on a photography course and every evening I had to learn what he had learnt that day. Later I won a photography competition! ( OK it was only the local electronics club but there were about 40 entries! ) I used a Minolta SLR which was cheaper than a pentax but still capable of very good results.

I once had a picture published in the Sun ! After a lot of argument they paid me £250 ! They originally implied it might be worth thousands but then once they had got the film they went quiet and I had to argue to get anything at all.

Modern advances in digital photography have totally changed the way things can be done and removed the pleasure of doing your own developing ( I only did B&W ).

I have to say I am now more interested is using my 1080 line video camera with stereo sound than still shots. ( It can also take stills though )

Tony

No! I had taken the picture and the Sun bought it from me!

Their photo editor was rather less than honest about the whole matter! First saying it could be worth thousands then becoming unavailable when they got the film.

After publishing it I had to strongly argue to even get the £250 !

Tony

No! I had taken the picture and the Sun bought it from me!

Their photo editor was rather less than honest about the whole matter! First saying it could be worth thousands then becoming unavailable when they got the film.

After publishing it I had to strongly argue to even get the £250 !

Tony

The Sun???....dishonest??...nahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, asif. :rolleyes:

finally plumped for the nikon D40X after many nights of internet trawling. Thanks for all the advice, much appreciated ;)

I find I don't like menu-driven cameras.

does anyone here use a modern DSLR where you can just turn a knob and spin the collars on the lens?

finally plumped for the nikon D40X

Thats a shame - Nikon are doing a Cashback promo on the D40 - and Cannon and Sony are running some too.

For Nikon, there is also a cashback promo on some lenses

Sponsored Links
Back