New Car Battery Plant

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good news! We're likely being picked for the construction of a new car battery plant! Yes it's being financed/built by a foreign company who own our former British marques, but it means investment, jobs and money.

As a lover of anything old with an engine in it, electric is the future and it's good we're having signs of a proper stake in it.

Sponsored Links
Does anyone know how large this plant is going to be? 9,000 jobs is the closest I've seen to any sense of scale.

Sponsored Links
It's not a brexit benefit. It's become a brexit necessity.

Indian company, big figures involved, ties into their other interests.

It's good news, within reason

Could we have negotiated the deal within the EU? I genuinely don't know.

If being out of the EU means we can forge deals like this, then it's both a necessity and a benefit then!

If being out of the EU means we can forge deals like this, then it's both a necessity and a benefit then!
Simple answer is. Other countries in the EU are striking similar deals. The EU isn't a country

It means we have to pay more for deals like this to sweeten the companies because of the issues involved around export - this is £900m bung.

" But British officials believe the key will be big discounts on the huge amounts of energy needed to run a gigafactory, which would be built in Somerset, as well as the separate Tata Steel operation at Port Talbot.

It means we have to pay more for deals like this to sweeten the companies because of the issues involved around export - this is £900m bung.

" But British officials believe the key will be big discounts on the huge amounts of energy needed to run a gigafactory, which would be built in Somerset, as well as the separate Tata Steel operation at Port Talbot.

You'll struggle to dress this up as bad news Galahad.

All governments worldwide offer international industries financial incentives to invest. Nothing new there. :)

That’s going to upset a few on here if it all works out. :ROFLMAO:
I see the usual Europhiles on this forum are noticeable by their absence from this thread. You can bet your bottom dollar they'd be creating 'told you so' Brexit threads if it was going anywhere but the UK. Might still do yet and then they’ll saddle up and come a galloping!

Strangely, when I was very young, probably about 12 or 13 years old, and Britain was the "sick man of Europe", I used to have this fantasy that I would invent a revolutionary new type of battery and we would be the only country who would be allowed to make it, and it would restore our economy.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back