New car - decisions, decisions

Still haven't made my mind up :confused: I love all the bells and whistles with the Qashqai and I did love my first QQ but just not sure about the new 1.2 turbo engine

My brother however has just picked up a new Impreza :cry:

Sponsored Links
I'd certainly avoid a diesel unless I was doing 20,000 miles a year or more. They're just too complicated now and they're going to get worse in September when manufacturers have to start building to the new "Euro 6" requirements. That's everything you always hated about DPFs PLUS ANOTHER set of equipment for reducing oxides of nitrogen!

Cars with DPFs don't so much need "fast" runs to regenerate them. They need about 15-20 minutes at LIGHT (but constant) throttle openings to make sure the mixture is weak and they don't slow to idle (exhaust cools down) or accelerate hard (produce more soot). Typically, anything over a constant 40 is sufficient.

Great experience with hire cars via Alamo rentals in the USA !! Booked in advance from GB - flawless operation, vehicle swap twice, no fiddles no extra charges

-0-
well if I ever go there I'll remember the Alamo

The salesman do have a point.

They now have to warn customers of the unsuitability of modern diesels if they are doing short runs only, plus i don't really see the point of a diesel if you're gonna do 10k over 2+ years as the DPF will clog up leaving you with unexpected problems as its not covered under warranty.

Plenty of capable Euro5 petrols out there with good mpg to match, however euro 6 cars are just around the corner which will make things even worse for diesel cars.

Old reliable diesels are hard to find now.

Sponsored Links
I ended up sticking with what I know and ordered a new qashqai - I get it at the end of the month. :D

Back