New CH system - advice on gas connections

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, i just fitted in my flat the 15mm pipes and 7 rads. Now i need a gas connection and boiler installed. As far as i understand i get transco/national grid (what ever they are called now) to put my gas line in, then another company to put the meter in, i can run the gas line through the property (but not connect), mount the boiler in position, and then get a corgi guy to connect the lot and comission the system. any feedback would be more than welcome.

sean

Sponsored Links
sean141 said:
Hi there, i just fitted in my flat the 15mm pipes and 7 rads.
Have you checked that 15mm is large enough?

i can run the gas line through the property (but not connect), mount the boiler in position
But only if you are competent to do so under HSE. If not get a CORGI person to do so[/quote]

cheers for the reply.

I've installed 15mm from where the boiler will be, and have then run the pipes in a ciruit (well 2 curcuits) to all the rads, standard convention system as far as i can tell.

As far as being competant, well i soldered in loads of right angle, straight and T piece unsoldered joints, when i pressure tested the system, no leaks (except from 2 from the adaptors on the rads), so i quite happy with my soldering technique. All it is, i've been told that you do not have to be corgi to install the pipe from the meter to the boiler (i'm aware that a corgi guy would have to connect it and comission it), so i'm not sure what you mean by competant??
Sean

Competent means you need to know all the regulations concerned ie Gas Safety Installation and Use, British Standards, Building Regs etc and be able to carry out the work safely.

Soldering water pipes does not qualify you as being competent, there are significant differences between running gas and water pipework. The soldering technique is different for starters. Get someone qualified to run the pipework.

Sponsored Links
It is illegal to do any gas work unless you are competent to do so. Competence isn't defined but it could be argued that it meant having a similar level of competence to a Corgi registered professional in relation to the work in question. For example would you know how to determine what size of gas pipe to install?

gasguru said:
The soldering technique is different for starters.
Is it? first I've heard of it.

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha
I cant believe anyone was sucked in by this obvious wind up!!
What is the point of offering advice to anyone who is not qualified.
Protect what we have guys and cut these cowboys to pieces straight away

castlePH said:
......this obvious wind up!!
It's not a wind-up. He's a genuine punter. Just because Juan Kerr caught a few of us out, you suspect everyone.

gasguru said:
Most people flux the fittings on water
Do they? What for? You flux the pipe end and insert it into the fitting which results in pipe and fitting being fluxed without any surplus being pushed into tube.

Why do so many people forget so much?

It was a major silly question when I took the ACS!

What kind of flux? One thats only corrosive when hot !!!

Tony

I though it was just active flux you couldnt use on gas??

Mind hell of a trick solderin without flux like to see that work ;)

Gasguru/chrishutt

thankyou for clarifying

castleplumbingandheating

well not sure if your reply is directed at me or not, if so then you obviously didnt bother to read my question properly. What i was asking was whether my asumptions where correct or not, unlike yourself i can'nt print my own money and therefore have to be careful were/how i spend it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back