New circuit board - Spark reckons thousands!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bear with me on this one:

Came home from holiday last week - live in the countryside and converted farmhouse split into two. Ours is part old build, part new (c15 years old).

Electrics tripping, initially just when something high power used (eg shower) but now regularly to the extent could not get the "Old" part back on at all last night.

Circuits inside are old looking box (With trip switches for each ciircuit, but clunky and looks 25 yrs plus) for old part of house, newer modern trip switches for new part of house. Even still when it trips it switches off at Main box outside and has to be rest from there.

Electric comes from mains into old breeze block cupboard outside. Electricity NW have checked both supply and earth to this - it is fine. It then going into the house via reinforeced cable.

Electrician round and he has managed to narrow problem down to applicances running off the sockets in the kitchen - but cant identify which one. His reccomendation is:

Replace both circuits with a new one inside.

Replace the cupboard outside with one on the wall sealed etc.

He says that he will chagre us a thousand for his "inside job" and the outside would be about £1,500, but his "mate" can do it as a 'foriegner' for less. Now reckons you cant do inside without outside.

Basically looking at £2k plus for a new circuit board inside and replacing what is outside.

What should I be asking him, how do I guage whether this is reasonable and realistic? At a loss - house with 3 kids <5 and no electric since the weekend.

Sponsored Links
Speaking purely as an amateur here, but if I understand your explanation correctly, the electrician identified that the fault was down to kitchen appliances? Surely all you need to do is turn them all off then back on one at a time until the fault recurs, then get that appliance sorted? Why couldn't he identify which one it was? Or have I missed something?

Before we skin him alive, we had better see some pictures of what you describe.

But, from what you say, you have a very common issue. An earth fault, causing an RCD to trip. This does not neccesitate the spending of thousands of pounds to sort out.

Seems he is a little lazy and greedy and has spotted the opportunity for a bit of money making.

But, as I say, let's see the pictures!

If it's an appliance . . . and that's a high possibility . . . leave the washing machine unplugged and the electric cooker (assuming it's electric) switched off (if it's a large sized switch) or unplugged (if it's on a plug) for a while, and see if it happens again.

Sponsored Links
Get a different electrician!

Can't see a need to change outdoor cabinet unless it is leaking in which case you need a builder!

I doubt ENW would charge £1500 to transfer service to a new one anyway!

Before we skin him alive, we had better see some pictures of what you describe.
I couldn't agree more and pictures always help. At first hand the figure quoted do seem very high - but there are some points raised by the OP that suggest this might be a bigger job then at first glance.

But, from what you say, you have a very common issue. An earth fault, causing an RCD to trip. This does not neccesitate the spending of thousands of pounds to sort out.
I know I jumped to the RCD issue - especially as I also jumped to the conclusion of 'countryside' meaning an old TT system with RCD protection.
But the OP hasn't mentioned either TT or RCD - and the inspection by the DNO would suggest that the both the supply and the 'earth' is up to standard. I'm not sure a DNO would check any earth system other than their own.

After all, it might well be an MCB issue or general degradation of the circuits in general and this one in particular.
That degradation could even extend to the outside supply from the 'leaky' outbuilding.
As securespark suggested, we don't have all the information, the test results the visual examination etc.

To the OP - firstly you should get at least three quotes from reputable electricians. Each quote should outline what the problem is and what they propose to do to resolve it.

If the electrician's "mate" doing the foreigner works for ENW, he is putting his job at risk and you at the risk of a possible bill to do it right!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back