New combi boiler fitted in place of old back boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have fit a new baxi 105he instant in the new extension, previously we had a baxi back boiler. I have also replaced all the radiators in the house for new convector types and fitted TRV's and also drain off valve's to all the rads.

The only exsisting part of the old system is the Manifold and piping. I pressurised the system yesterday to check for leaks, had 2 small ones, one from a gland i forgot to tighten and another from where i had tried to remove an olive so i didn't have to chop the pipe to fit the TRV. I then in turn let each radiator flush through the flow pipe, then turned the trv off so it came back through the return wilth running clean water through the filling loop.

Quite a bit of Black cack came out of the upstairs ones and i assume this is what was lying in the pipes. I haven't turned on the isolation valves under the boiler fitting plate as yet so i don't get any contamination in the new boiler.

My question is, does it need power flushing? or is what i have already done sufficient to say the system is clean ?

Once the boiler is comissioned, do i add a flushing aid and fire the boiler up, let it run a while then drain and finally fill with the inhibitor ? That is if i do eventually find a plumber who will connect the gas for me :(

Cheers guys.

Sponsored Links
I'd say you've flushed it well enough.
I would now put Sentinel X300 in with the next fill (you may be able to tip it in through a top fitting on a rad), then follow the instructions - run hot for as long as they say. Then dump that water and refill with protector like Sentinel X100.

That is if i do eventually find a plumber who will connect the gas for me
Could be difficult. He would then acquire a responsibility for an installation done by an unqualified person. :(

Not asking anyone to warrant work they havent done. Just asking someone to connect the gas and warrant that bit.

I am a firm beleiver in saving money where you can. i was quoted over £2500 for the boiler including the swop over.

Its only cost me £500 ish including the boiler to DIY and it took me 3 days. I would say a PRO plumber would take 2 so £1000 a day wage :eek: No wonder you all live in flash houses, drive merc sprinters, wives have saab convertibles, and you have blades parked in the garage for the occasional sunday blast... :LOL: :LOL:

Only jesting Chris...

Did you get the piccie ?

Just asking someone to connect the gas and warrant that bit.
Can't be done - he's responsible for the appliance too. Regs is Regs.

Did you powerflush the old sytem before you put the new boiler in?

Yes got the pic thanks, :D have answered.

Sponsored Links
No. I ran some of that flusing stuff through the old boiler it before i decomissioned it.

As i said, the only old part now is a few pipes and the manifold. All the rads are new in the extension and the original house. I tore all the old ones out, they were about 25 years old and had NO convectors on them.

I will run more clean water through before i fill with that descaler. I will then run it as per instructions and then drop again and flush through again before filling with the inhibitor stuff..

Out of interest, How do you work out how much inhibitor will be needed ? Its basically now like having 2 living rooms, dining room,kitchen, hall, utility room, bathroom, 4 bedrooms, and the en-suite. All rooms have a rad of varying size.

Or do i need to work out capacity of rad and work from there...

Cheers Chris.

PS.

Cheeky sod, I'll give you Hobbit :) My feet arent that bad

Its O.K critisising Corgi registered plumbers for charging what they do but have you thouight about the qualifications we require doing what we do.
Me for one have taken a 4 year apprenteship then worked 25 years for BG before leaving them to work for myself.
Then after paying £500 for registration, energy efficiency,LPG, Range cooker boilers and unvented hot water I hope that someone will actually pay me to install something for them.
Perhaps if you realised how many regulations we have to adhere to then you may appreciate the sometimes high prices.
The differences are distigushing between the people who dont have a clue and the people who have dedicated half a working life to actually doing a good job to the relevant regulations and actually caring about what they do :(

pannierstan said:
Its O.K critisising Corgi registered plumbers for charging what they do but have you thouight about the qualifications we require doing what we do.
Me for one have taken a 4 year apprenteship then worked 25 years for BG before leaving them to work for myself.
Then after paying £500 for registration, energy efficiency,LPG, Range cooker boilers and unvented hot water I hope that someone will actually pay me to install something for them.
Perhaps if you realised how many regulations we have to adhere to then you may appreciate the sometimes high prices.
The differences are distigushing between the people who dont have a clue and the people who have dedicated half a working life to actually doing a good job to the relevant regulations and actually caring about what they do :(

Call yourself qualified..............you cant even repair a tumble dryer!...Pay peanuts you get Monkeys!

What!!

Dont make stupid comments

Perhaps if you had worked in the industry long enough you might reply sensibly

pannierstan,

Will you pop over and connect the gas on my combi PLEASE....

I will pay you Honest...

Sorry I didn't reread before asking re flushing.

One bottle does 100litres, which is a very big system if you have convector rads (smaller water capacity). Wouldn't hurt to do the sums - I haven't for ages!

diyisfree said:
pannierstan,

Will you pop over and connect the gas on my combi PLEASE....

I will pay you Honest...

NO. It will probably need capping off before I have even started due to regulatory issues that you didnt even realise existed.

Boiler now connected to gas :D

Nice corgi man came yesterday, looked at my handy work and offered me a job doing the piping for him. :D He said plumbing is a piece of Pis+ people think its difficult but you (meaning Me) have proved just how easy it is.

He did all his tests with the water meter, tested burner pressure or something balance all the rad lockshields, and all for £60.00. Well there was only one pipe joint to solder. he was only there 1.5 hours.

Appologies to all the nice plumbers who charge a reasonable rate. dont know about regs ive broken pannierstan but i also did all the re wire in my house under BCO supervision. BCO was suited all tests passed not one fault. I also informed him i would be fitting my own boiler but not doing the gas work. He said fine. I did check with corgi before i commenced work. I got a corgi number from the side of a plumbers van and pretended i was him, corgi asked for my number, i gave him that and then proceded to ask all the relevent questions i needed. Sneeky eh pannierstan.

If my BCO officer didnt have any problems then that will do me..

cheers all who helped with info.

Well I suppose charges are quite low in Bosnia compared with the UK.

We normally charge about £180 to do all the essential CORGI matters which are advise on flue siting, fit flue, fit mounting bracket, run gas pipe and commission boiler and complete Benchmark Certificate.

Your "CORGI" was actually acting Ultra Vires as he apparently did not fit the flue or mounting bracket !

Did he complete the Benchmark Certificate for you?

Did he "Notify" CORGI or did you advise Building Control? Remember installing a gas boiler is a "Controlled Activity" under the Building Regulations!

Tony

The BCO knew we were fitting a new boiler. We told him a new combi would be installed in the new utility room which is under Building control. He informed me regarding the specs of the boiler and so on. The hole for the flu was cut several weeks ago whilst i was installing the extractor fan.

It falls back to the boiler the required 5 degrees, clear from doors and window the required amount. and so on.

What you have to remeber is that I, ME yes little ME built this extension And i do mean built. I laid all the bricks, laid all NEW drains that the BCO inspected, Cut all the roof timbers ( no pre made ****e trusses on my roof) laid all the roof tiles, plastered every wall, (No drylining) and also did all the electrical work.

The only thing the corgi guy picked me up on was that i hadnt run the condense pipe inside a piece of 40mm waste pipe to protect it from frost. I have since got the little rubber adapter and done that.

Yes he filled in the little blue pamphlet with all the details and so on. he gave me a receipt on official headed paer so it all looks good to me. I assume he has passed on the paper work to corgi or whoever he sends it to. I was under the impression that if i wanted to connect my own gas then i could ? Not even I would attemp that even if i were allowed.

I draw the line where my, my family, and neighbours safety comes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back