New combi boiler fitted in place of old back boiler

Only last week I was given a warranty job to look at. It was one of the few with a CORGI installer, one registered for 10-15 years, and so I called him before attending.

Sure enough I was able to point him to the error he had made when fitting the flue. That saved him £84 !

Tony

Sponsored Links
Concentric flue inner put in from the outside instead of the inside?

No, seal between boiler and elbow was not in place.

If you let the elbow move up after pushing it down then the seal can ride up the inner tube and will be out of place when pushed down again and screwed.

The APS is so sensitive that it can detect this.

Tony

Nice design heh? A boiler mender/fitter might have seen that coming but then again possibly not. Not too likely a diyer would!

:?: Who pays if there are no details about the installer? Or do they only respond to registered installations?

Sponsored Links
ChrisR

I assume you meant the piece of metal support that ensures the centre exhaust tube stays central and prevents it from not conecting correctly on the boiler thus allowing cross cirulation of exhaust and intake ?

Thats the only thing the corgi helpline told me to observe.

Chris will reply ( if he can understand it ).

The manufacturers have a duty under the sale of goods to remedy a defective boiler whoever fitted it. Sometimes we repair a manufacturer's fault and then disconnect it and stick warning notices all over it.

If, as normally the case, its an installers error then its chargeable at our fixed diagnostic fee of £84 if we have to visit. In most cases the owner pays and deducts it from the installers payment. If its not paid then the warranty is pulled.

Heatline and Worcester will clean the plate HE under the warranty ONCE per boiler and usually once per installer !

Tony

Your all assuming the thing is going to break down any time this week :D

I think we should close this thread now because it is going to continue to be a clash between Me the DIYer and You the pro plumbers.

My final word on this: It is working ok, i flushed as good as i could, replaced every rad in the house, added flushing solution on comissioning, drained and flushed through again, added inhibitor,

If it ****s up next week then so be it. The boiler cost me £330.00 plus a few quid for a bit of pipe and a few fittings. £60.00 for the plumber to do his thing.

If it fails after 2 years, at £330.00 a time its still cheaper than paying £2500 for a plumber to do the work i did, and i still only get a 12 month warranty. If it does mess up, i may get one of the platinum boilers with a 5 year warranty next time.

That may then solve the problem with warranty issues.

Agile said:
Firstly the advisor should have sussed out that he was not registered but they have so many ill informed RGIs that he presumably did not stand out.

Tony

Are you admitting that corgi registration is no guarantee of competence?
Reading through this forum it seems that there are a lot of well informed DIYers out there

Diyisfree said:
ChrisR

I assume you meant the piece of metal support that ensures the centre exhaust tube stays central and prevents it from not conecting correctly on the boiler thus allowing cross cirulation of exhaust and intake ?

Thats the only thing the corgi helpline told me to observe.

No, you've missed it, so we don't know whether your flue is correct or not. Flues have Flue Restrictor(s) which you have to get right so the gas to air mixture is right, ensuring the boiler doesn't produce carbon monoxide. If there's a leak somewhere, the CO gets into the room and the owner (and the dog, as recently reported in S Wales) dies.
Why should there be a leak? Well you won't have tested for one, for a start. Then if the boiler's burning incorrectly it can soot up, overheat, all sorts - a leak would be likely. Probably not this week, no.

If a competent installer was doing it he'd know about it, but it's easy to forget if you're just checking a boiler. No need to check it when, say, doing a Landlords Gas Safety "Certificate".

You may have got it right, but you clearly didn't realise its significance, or you would have said. If you'd seen it and understood it, you would have not fitted the flue so the corgi could check it. I wonder what else is wrong that nobody's pointed out. Your corgi went through the commissioning procedure, he did not check every point of the installation.

I'm not anti-diy, but there are dangers. If you're relying on a phone call to get things right, mistakes are likely.

The guy at corgi would have wondered how the hell you could have been trained, to be asking such basic questions, and will have that recorded against the poor installer's name. So you've made his life a bit more difficult. He can expect an inspector on his back going through what you should have done.

Sludge said:
Are you admitting that corgi registration is no guarantee of competence?
Mistakes are made, certainly. Gas Safety is covered in the training. One of the things that does is tell you why such things as flue restrictors are required. But you are told many times to do absolutely everything which is in the instructions - something our diy'er above didn't see the importance of. But the instructions alone are never sufficient.

Sludge said:
Reading through this forum it seems that there are a lot of well informed DIYers out there
A lot are very bright, can read instructions, and understand perfectly well if something is explained. But if they don't know there's a hole in their knowledge, their confidence is misplaced. Nobody who hasn't been trained, for example, would do a gas leak test properly - and that's just one of the basics he'd get wrong.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back