New Combi Boiler Installation Procedure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm speaking in general but if specifics are needed my first choice boiler is Potterton Gold 24k.

I understand CH sludge can block the heat exchanger and was wondering how onerous the maintenance schedule is for the warranty to be valid? For instance could I get the boiler installed with just a couple of radiators in place and then add more shortly after as floor space becomes cleared again? Do all/any combi s require power flushing immediately upon installation? If so then how frequently should this flushing be performed?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Best bet would be to clean before you get new boiler fitted, what you got in now ?

new ch system going in now. old boiler is DHW only.

maybe that is best considering a power flush could be £350 and warranty may specify annually.

Powerflush what ? If its a new system make sure its cleaned properly, well inhibited and get a quality filter fitted. As long as there's no air getting into the system and no leaks (requiring to much topping up) it shouldn't cause you any bother.

Sponsored Links
I thought in an effort to avoid warranty claims boiler manufacturers would require an annual power flush certificate? Like new cars are warranted providing you regularly attend the manufacturers rip off service centres. No?

You onlyneed a powerush if its clogged up (even then believe me its over rated) if you take preventitive steps you may never need it. My system never had one and the waters very clean. Been in 26 yrs with 2 boilers.

My parents have lived in their house for 52 years and still have the original rads, pipes, valves. In that time, the system has gone from open-vented, coal fired back boiler before going closed system and a couple of combis since 1986.

No sign of needing a power flush in all that time, nor any time soon.

Come back in 52 years time and ask about flushing then. ;)

Do all/any combi s require power flushing immediately upon installation? If so then how frequently should this flushing be performed?

I would have a powerflush before connecting a new combi-boiler.
Most boiler manufacturers advise this.

If when you bleed your radiators the water that comes out is not clear, then you will definitely need a powerflush.

New boiler should have Magnaclean or similar filter installed on the return pipe, and if you live in a hard water area it is advisable to fit a limescale filter on the boiler inlet pipe from the mains water supply.

As long as the system is filled with a corrosion inhibitor and checked annually, then no further flushing should be required.

If when you bleed your radiators the water that comes out is not clear, then you will definitely need a powerflush.

New boiler should have Magnaclean or similar filter installed on the return pipe, and if you live in a hard water area it is advisable to fit a limescale filter on the boiler inlet pipe from the mains water supply.

Twaddle.

Do all/any combi s require power flushing immediately upon installation? If so then how frequently should this flushing be performed?

I would have a powerflush before connecting a new combi-boiler.

Its a new system, why on earth would it need a powerflush ?

Loads of old systems i see have dirty water in them, drain down, clean properly and inhibit maybe all thats needed. Please dont scaremonger.

Would agree with this.

As long as the system is filled with a corrosion inhibitor and checked annually, then no further flushing should be required.

If its sealed and no leaks/fresh water added, it wont need it annually, you can buy tester kits to see if and when its needed.

If it's a brand new system it won't need powerflushing, ever (assuming its been well installed). It'll be more expensive to have your installer fit the system in sections than it would be to let them do the whole house in one go.

Any reason for that boiler choice?

Twaddle.

I take it you don't approve of Magnacleans?

If it's a brand new system it won't need powerflushing, ever (assuming its been well installed). It'll be more expensive to have your installer fit the system in sections than it would be to let them do the whole house in one go.

Any reason for that boiler choice?

The installer of the radiators is me, hence these questions. Which is obviously suited to economical and convenient installation hours.

Just need to be sure I'm not going to bodge the expensive work of my Corgi, or be bound in to an exorbitant service contract.

if everything is fitted correctly from new ,cold and hot flushed correctly and inhibitor then you dont even need a magnaclean as there should be nothing too speak about to collect .
They are an excuse to charge £££ for something that costs ££ and take minutes to fit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back