Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone looking for some assistance please as new to the whole renovation side of things. We are having a brand new central heating system fitting into our new flat in January as currently we have no heating at all. The only available wall is a stud wall which we'll be pulling down and replacing due to its 70's shoddiness. What is required to hang a combi onto the plasterboard wall? If we got 12.5mm plasterboard and plastered it as well as reinforcing the joists of the wall would this be enough or is there more required? If so what? Any help will be appreciated, any sarcasm will be ignored :sleep:

Sponsored Links
Check the MI's about a suitable mounting surface. It may need a suitably thick board mounted onto the wall and screwed through to the batons to support it correctly or at the least the bracket will need to be fixed to the batons. The plasterboard itself will not be strong enough.

In a flat the boiler could still be 30kg+ Using 18mm structural ply directly on the stud work should be ok. You can then plasterboard over that. But as above the mis are the last word.

Have you looked at Gyproc Habito; it'll take a 15Kg loading, screwed straight into it, so should handle a boiler; but I'd be inclined to go with Johns suggestion of battening out the studwork, and then putting a ply facing on roughly where the boilers going to go. Throw in a few more noggins, and a bit of rockwool to cut down any vibrations from the boiler, and you should be fine.

Sponsored Links
Brilliant that was my initial thoughts on up but weren't sure if I was being too naive thinking it would be simpler than it is. Thanks everyone for your help! (y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back