New Combi boiler question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A British Gas engineer gas suggested to my Mum (aged 77) that she would benefit from a new Worcester-Bosch Greenstar 28i junior Combi boiler which, according to the website, "can cut heating and hot water bills by between 15-20% - and they’re up to 30% cheaper to run than an older boiler." See:

http://www.worcester-bosch.co.uk/homeowner/products/gas-fire...

The (discounted) quote for supply, fitting and two years' 'homecare' cover is £2,776 (including VAT).

Does anyone know if this is a good deal and generally to be recommended? At the moment, my Mum has a 20 year-old boiler which seems to run ok. It's not a combi. Her house is a large four bed pre-war semi that's been very well insulated etc but her gas bill is around £1700 a year (and it's only for the heating). She lives there alone, but the place is always pretty hot!

I have no idea about how genuine this deal is - and would really appreciate any advice.

Sponsored Links
In my opinion, It would be cost effective for her to buy a modern condensing boiler as it will reduce the gas bills by about 30%. But i'd get quotes from other companies/Independants as BG tend to charge 3 times the normal price for some reason.

you could probably spend about £150-£200 updating or installing devices that would bring her bill down

modern roomstat

trvs

chemical clean of her system

etc etc

and the obvious, thorough service of ch system

or do that indeed. Then she can just turn off the rads to the rooms she doesnt go in much.

Sponsored Links
Don`t go there, especially with british gas, over the top ripoff merchants, engineers are slaves, read some of their posts on this site, totally indoctrinated. If it`s been in this long and working leave it. Change your service provider, go private, british gas engineers love to scare old people. Look in phone book for reputable registered fitters. Cancel your subscription with british gas in the meantime. ;) Forget the bulls*hit printed by manufacturers, it won`t save you a lot of money installing a condenser in your existing system.

If your old mam is happy leave it. Bitish gas will only send in a sub-contractor who couldn`t care less, they are interested in money, not quality. Get a local gas fitter/engineer to service the boiler, he will be a lot more honest than the british gas engineer that shows up.

I am supplying and fitting a 28i junior tomorrow. It will cost the client £1,800.00. No powerflush needed and a straight swap.

Your mother will only benefit if she is changing from a cylinder to a combi and then only if her bills are quite large. Of course if her current boiler is beyond economic repair then, by al; means, change.

I'd change the boiler for a new one but don't use BG aka ****ish gas and don't fit an "Ideal".

am supplying and fitting a 28i junior tomorrow. It will cost the client £1,800.00. No powerflush needed and a straight swap.

A powerflush is insisted by the manufacturer before installing new boiler. Any decent fitter would do one.

Your mother will only benefit if she is changing from a cylinder to a combi

If she thinks that losing hot water pressure and not being able to run more than one hot tap at a time is a benefit.

my Mum has a 20 year-old boiler which seems to run ok. It's not a combi. Her house is a large four bed pre-war semi that's been very well insulated etc
How well is the house insulated? Does she have cavity wall and loft insulation? Draught proofing? Double glazing or secondary glazing?

As she is over 70 she will be entitled to free loft and cavity wall insulation. If she already has loft insulation it would be topped up to the recommended 270mm.

Her gas bill is around £1700 a year (and it's only for the heating). She lives there alone, but the place is always pretty hot!
That's a very high bill.

Does she feel the cold?
Does she like having the windows open to get "fresh air"?
Are there thermostatic valves on the radiators?
Is there a wall thermostat? If so what type? is she constantly fiddling with it?
What type of timer/programmer does she have?

when i did some installer training with worcester all that was requied was if the system was being converted from open vent to a sealed system then stick some system cleaner like sentinal a week before you install new boiler. no powerflush is needed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back