New Conservatory less than 1M from boundary

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, some advice much needed please :)

I'm finding it very difficult to obtain an official guide on Building Control for a Conservatory.
When i look at forums you see quotes like "The roof must be 75% glass and all walls 50% glass but where are they getting this information from officially?

My biggest worry is that one side of the Conservatory will be LESS than 1M from the boundary, it will be 0.6M so what would happen in this case?

Hoping to do this under PD with little BC requirements apart from Electrical & Glazing Safety Certifications.

Been going round in circles so any help much appreciated.
Thanks
Ron

Sponsored Links
Under Planning, a conservatory is treated the same as an extension as are the PD rules.

In relation to Building Regulations...

“The definition of a conservatory contained in the superseded Approved Document L1B 2006 still gives a valid basis for a definition. LABC guidance is that to be considered exempt the conservatory should:

• have at least 50% of its external wall area formed from translucent materials (not including walls within one metre of boundary*)
• have at least 75% of its roof area formed from translucent materials
• be at ground level
• be effectively thermally separated from the main part of the dwelling**
• Heating should either be completely independent of the dwelling or be provided with effective controls to operate and isolate the heating from the dwelling”

If you have any glass within 1m of a shared boundary, the glass will need to be fire resisting. In the majority of cases, people end up constructing a solid wall on the side that runs parallel with the boundary while the rest will be built as a traditional conservatory.

Under Planning, a conservatory is treated the same as an extension as are the PD rules.

In relation to Building Regulations...

“The definition of a conservatory contained in the superseded Approved Document L1B 2006 still gives a valid basis for a definition. LABC guidance is that to be considered exempt the conservatory should:

• have at least 50% of its external wall area formed from translucent materials (not including walls within one metre of boundary*)
• have at least 75% of its roof area formed from translucent materials
• be at ground level
• be effectively thermally separated from the main part of the dwelling**
• Heating should either be completely independent of the dwelling or be provided with effective controls to operate and isolate the heating from the dwelling”

If you have any glass within 1m of a shared boundary, the glass will need to be fire resisting. In the majority of cases, people end up constructing a solid wall on the side that runs parallel with the boundary while the rest will be built as a traditional conservatory.

Thank you so much for taking the time to explain!
That really did help to connect the things i'd read which i found confusing.

Seeing that a solid wall is needed on the side that is only 0.6M from the boundary, surly this would require Building Control?
Would they not need to check the footings for the wall prior to bricking?
The side will be 5 Metres long.

Perhaps fire resisting glass could be an easier option but then the UPVC frame i guess would also need to be special type.

Thanks again
Ron

Have you got a picture of the next door boundary please. The people on this site are pretty good when they can see what there dealing with. Hope this helps.

Sponsored Links
Seeing that a solid wall is needed on the side that is only 0.6M from the boundary, surly this would require Building Control?
Would they not need to check the footings for the wall prior to bricking?

If you are building a conservatory (as per the definition above) and if it’s an exempt conservatory (as per the guidelines above), then you wouldn’t need to worry about Building Control at all. If however it’s deemed you’re building something more along the lines of an extension, then you will need to submit a Building Regulation application.

If you meet the criteria of a conservatory (less than 30m2 internal, keep the door to the main house, independent heating) then building regs don't apply to the whole of it and you can put it as close to the boundary af you like.

Area of glazing criteria was removed several years ago.

Have you got a picture of the next door boundary please. The people on this site are pretty good when they can see what there dealing with. Hope this helps.

A case of a photograph speaks a thousand words :)

I don't have one at hand at the moment but there's an existing 3M extension, approved and finished in 2001 and that is 0.6M from boundary.
There's basically a 6.5 foot fence on the boundary and the Conservatory will be 0.6M from that in-line with the Conservatory.

We will have to go through the Neighbour Consultation Scheme to get approval for the extra 5M to build onto the existing 3M extension, so 8M total allowed from original house wall.
I think once i get approval i'll email BCO with some questions, better safe than sorry.

Like outbuildings less than 1M to Boundary i'm wondering if a Cement Board outer wall on that side would be approved? A cement board then rendered.

Thanks again
Ron

And sorry, just to clarify on this....

That is if you were actually building an extension with any windows/openings on that wall within 600mm of the boundary. An extension would need Building Regulations where this would be covered and a ‘conservatory’, you can do what you like.

If you meet the criteria of a conservatory (less than 30m2 internal, keep the door to the main house, independent heating) then building regs don't apply to the whole of it and you can put it as close to the boundary af you like.

Area of glazing criteria was removed several years ago.

Hi Woody, i recall some time ago you helped me with something else so my thanks again for the advice on this.

Can you elaborate on what you mean Glazing criteria was removed several years ago?

Thanks
Ron

We will have to go through the Neighbour Consultation Scheme to get approval for the extra 5M to build onto the existing 3M extension, so 8M total allowed from original house wall.
I think once i get approval i'll email BCO with some questions, better safe than sorry

What is the proposed (internal) floor area of this conservatory as over 30sq.m would require BR approval?

Hi Ron ,Thanks Woody, my point exactly. This coni can be built to 100mm of the official boundary line to next door. Don’t know if I’d want to view a brick wall through my coni window but we have fitted lots that clients just want the light through the building.

And sorry, just to clarify on this....

That is if you were actually building an extension with any windows/openings on that wall within 600mm of the boundary. An extension would need Building Regulations where this would be covered and a ‘conservatory’, you can do what you like.

That helped a lot, thanks for clarifying ;).
Been a while since i looked into all this, i'm amazed how relaxed things are now, a lot more freedom building wise as long as you do your homework and stick to the rules.

What is the proposed (internal) floor area of this conservatory as over 30sq.m would require BR approval?

As i can only go out an extra 5M the internal floor space will be slightly less than 20sq.m, space badly needed.

Can you elaborate on what you mean Glazing criteria was removed several years ago?
Building regulations used to state that for something to be classed as a conservatory, it must have a certain percentage of the walls and roof as glazing, along with the other things I mentioned.

The area of glazing criteria was removed several years ago, so people started building conservatories with walls and windows and flat roofs with lanterns, ie fashionable orangeries.

Building regulations used to state that for something to be classed as a conservatory, it must have a certain percentage of the walls and roof as glazing, along with the other things I mentioned.

The area of glazing criteria was removed several years ago, so people started building conservatories with walls and windows and flat roofs with lanterns, ie fashionable orangeries.

Crikey, now a Conservatory is be pretty close to being an Extension!
The difference being separate heating and a fixed door isolating the Conservatory from the house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back