New Conservatory less than 1M from boundary

Sponsored Links
As an aside: there is also updated guidance on extending the house central heating into a conservatory: it can be done provided there are separate zoned controls, which TRVs are acceptable.

As an aside: there is also updated guidance on extending the house central heating into a conservatory: it can be done provided there are separate zoned controls, which TRVs are acceptable.
I think that has been there all along but it was the vagueness that stumped people "separately controllable" meant different things to different people, and just needed clarifying

Sponsored Links
Thanks for everyone's replies and help.
I'm bound to run into a couple of problems so forgive me if i return with a quick bit of advice from time to time.

Cheers!
Ron

We ain't going nowhere for at least the next three months

LOL! Well that's true :mrgreen:.

We are considering your comment on an Orangery over a Conservatory, like the idea of the large Roof Lantern, always liked the look of those.
Need to look into this in a bit more detail as have concentrated on a Conservatory from the beginning.
Thanks again
Ron

Hi Ron, it’ll look big and beautiful, good luck with it.

Thanks Johnny :)
Still need to go through the Neighbour Consultation Scheme but they are good neighbours so hopefully no problems.

Still a bit of a minefield but think i'm getting there, took plenty of notes from your replies and the LABC website has been a godsend, thanks again!

Last edited:
Still need to go through the Neighbour Consultation Scheme
Just make sure that you can get the roof height for a flat roof, ie don't be prescriptive with the eaves height specification on the application

Just make sure that you can get the roof height for a flat roof, ie don't be prescriptive with the eaves height specification on the application

Hi Woody
Thanks for the tip, less info the better sometimes, keep it minimal.

As it's less than 2M from the boundary i'm allowed 3M height to eaves which is bags of room for flat roof but i'm checking for any clauses if Conservatory was less than 1M to boundary, for example like the rules for an outbuilding less than 1M from a boundary cannot be higher than 2.5M, so double checking this does not apply for a Conservatory, i'm guessing not.

The only other thing of concern is the allowable protrusion height of a Roof Lantern from a flat roof for it to be exempt.
I'm reading it cannot be any higher than 150mm from the flat roof but then it would not be a Lantern, more of a flat roof light.

Thanks again.
Ron

As it's less than 2M from the boundary i'm allowed 3M height to eaves which is bags of room for flat roof but i'm checking for any clauses if Conservatory was less than 1M to boundary, for example like the rules for an outbuilding less than 1M from a boundary cannot be higher than 2.5M, so double checking this does not apply for a Conservatory, i'm guessing not.

The PD rules for extensions (including conservatories) and outbuildings are different so no need to worry about complying with both. You’d only need to worry about those rules for extensions.

Tbh, I’m not 100% sure on the lantern/rooflight guideline. I’ve never been picked up by the LPA for them which have exceeded 150mm before but that does not mean to say they won’t be. I have however in the past had to confirm that traditional rooflights on roof slopes for loft conversions do not project more than 150mm.

The PD rules for extensions (including conservatories) and outbuildings are different so no need to worry about complying with both. You’d only need to worry about those rules for extensions.

Tbh, I’m not 100% sure on the lantern/rooflight guideline. I’ve never been picked up by the LPA for them which have exceeded 150mm before but that does not mean to say they won’t be. I have however in the past had to confirm that traditional rooflights on roof slopes for loft conversions do not project more than 150mm.

Think i'll stick to the 150mm, the total height of Conservatory i calculted to be about 2.9M so add the 150mm makes it 3.05M total, that's pretty fair me thinks.
Next step is a little more calculating then onto the Neighbour Consultation Application :)

Could not see that Neighbour Consultation Application form on the planning website, unless you have to go directly to council.

Thanks again for the help.
Ron

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back