New consumer unit / mice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, My latest project house has old cartridge fuse box. I found that the mice have eaten a lot of the wiring. I think the mice are gone now (i am dealing with it), but i am worried about future mice causing a fire, due to eating the electrics. If I replace the consumer unit with a modern RCD, how much am I reducing this risk? Is there anything else that I can do to prevent mice/electrical trouble. Please note: I am not after pest control advice.

Secondly, I have an electric key meter. If i wait for the money to run out, then will the feed in to the consumer unit be safe to handle and me to do the job?

All help appreciated, Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Consider using MICC for runs that are subject to rodent problems.

My latest project house
So are you renovating properties as a commercial venture?

has old cartridge fuse box. I found that the mice have eaten a lot of the wiring. I think the mice are gone now (i am dealing with it), but i am worried about future mice causing a fire, due to eating the electrics. If I replace the consumer unit with a modern RCD, how much am I reducing this risk?
Replacing some or all of the wiring... Installing a new CU....
  1. What do you intend to do about Building Regulations certification?

2. For a circuit to supply a given load (doesn't matter what), how would you go about deciding what cable and protective device to use?

3. How do you calculate maximum demand and how can diversity be used?

4. What are the 3 different types of domestic single-phase supplies provided in this country, how would you recognise them, and what differences do each make to the requirements for the rest of the installation, particularly any outdoor supplies?

5. Can you correctly identify all components and connections of a circuit by method of testing or otherwise? In doing so can you identify or recognise anything wrong or dangerous with the circuit?

6. Do you understand how the way in which you install cables affects how much current they can carry?

7. What are the rules concerning cables concealed in walls, partitions and under floors?

8. What are the rules for cables run outdoors, buried in the ground or overhead?

9. Where cables need to be joined, how should this be done / not be done and in what circumstances are different methods acceptable?

10. Can you identify extraneous conductive parts, and do you know the requirements for main and supplementary bonding of them?

11. Which circuits should be RCD protected?

12. Can you explain what tests you would carry out on the installation - what sequence you'd do them in and at what point you would energise the installation, and for each test do you know what is being measured, why it is important, how you would carry out the test, and with what equipment, and what sort of results you would expect to get if everything was OK?

Sponsored Links
I've recently rewired a property which has had extensive rodent damage to the wiring.

For any wiring which could be subjected to vermin attack, which is pretty much any wiring not buried directly into the fabric of the building, you've basically got three choices.

Use SWA cable
Use MI cable
Use PVC cable installed in metallic containment.

I used MI cable on my job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back