New decking pack - damaged wood?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all,

Had a "deluxe" decking pack delivered this morning at 6am from a reputable looking joiner not local to us - the wood had been piled in our front garden by the delivery man before he knocked on the door, so there wasn't much chance of inspection, not ideal in hindsight.

Some of the lengths have splits in the wood at the end (there has been seemingly an attempt to treat the ends slightly to address this), and in particular one of the side support pieces with metal hangers attached has quite a few splits in it throughout the length, some of which have been filled with wood glue or something similar.

I'm not sure I'll be able to get replacement pieces easily from the original supplier given the distance, but was hoping to get a more expert opinion as to whether the pieces below are usable / defective and should not have been supplied, or whether I need to go and get replacements from somewhere local to replace them.

Photos attached, the first four are along the most split piece of wood, and then one of the ends, showing some of the other splits.

I'd appreciate any input, thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1163.JPG
    IMG_1163.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_1164.JPG
    IMG_1164.JPG
    104.8 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_1165.JPG
    IMG_1165.JPG
    102.4 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_1166.JPG
    IMG_1166.JPG
    102.8 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_1167.JPG
    IMG_1167.JPG
    207.4 KB · Views: 171
Sponsored Links
Hardly a 'de luxe' batch, I'm bound to say.....the timbers have 'shakes' which develop during the drying process - some have to be inspected, some get worse, none get better.
With luck you'll be able to lose the duff ends during your decking project?
I'm afraid this is where selecting your own timbers from a stack pays dividends......all very well in retrospect!
John :)

Yes, a lesson learnt, price was good and looked reputable, but the whole purchase experience has hardly been deluxe from arranging delivery through to this morning!

I'm hoping we can lose some bits of the decking timbers, it's the side support I'm worried about in terms of the integrity of the piece to hold the joists - however the supplier has told my partner this morning that as long as the base is level and compact, the decking will be fine with the split timber as "it can't go anywhere" and the joist holders don't take any weight. We'll see I suppose!

Sponsored Links
Wasn't from Savoy was it? I was just looking at their Deluxe range...

No, it was someone similar. Didn't come with any kind of instructions either which for a full decking kit I found a bit surprising - I'll try and figure it out!

No, it was someone similar. Didn't come with any kind of instructions either which for a full decking kit I found a bit surprising - I'll try and figure it out!

Have a look on YouTube and watch some videos. Its quite simple in theory. Practically, well that depends on your joinery skills, nailing, screwing and getting things level is what's required.

I'm not sure what the delux tag suggests? What advantages do they give over their standard range? If they claim to use better selected timber then yours doesnt look too bad but its pretty similar to what i would get from my local builders yard??

If the delux simply means its thicker or has a different profile or something then I'd say what you've got seem ok.

Looking @ the end grain it looks relatively slow grown - some stuff you get the growth rings are about 3-4 apart:eek:

It looks like overdried timber... I would recommended to replace the wosrt. In couple of month some cracks become wider...

p.s "de luxe" in title looks very suspicious for me

I think deluxe was thicker and came with hanging joists, screws etc - compared to the normal one. I'm told there's one spare decking piece so this may help I suppose.

In that case i think its fine. It is sometimes hard to be objective when your other dealings with the company have been poor and this is the straw that breaks the back etc but that is no worse than any decking kit i have ever seen. Always a few dodgy ones here and there and you'll easily use them up in cuts etc.

This looks like most decking you get from builders merchants, to be honest. I have laid many many decks and you always have to assume some damaged ones. Bonkers, but there you go.

Cut the spilt ends off and crack on, remembering to treat all cuts with suitable treatment.

We've been looking at it closer today while preparing to lay it - there are quite a few surface cracks through the decking pieces and one in particular has a crack most of the way along it. We've been applying some waterproof wood glue, hopefully that and some runseal will do the job as it was purchased as a pack cut to the right length already

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    93.3 KB · Views: 95
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    78.7 KB · Views: 97

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back