New electric heating for small terraced house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have recently bought a small end of terrace cottage in rural Shropshire. All room sizes are small, and I have been considering Dimplex DuoHeat electric radiators as the means to heat the property. This system employs an Economy 10 meter which uses 3 bands of off-peak electricity and two tarrifs.

Is this the best system to go for, or are there other alternatives which use electricity and bearing in mind space is limited?

Sponsored Links
How is the water heated, is there only electricity at the property?

Is there any heating at the house already?

To be honest with you, as an electrician, I would never fit electric heating unless there was no other option, the heat level is rubbish and the running costs are high.

You would be better having gas central heating installed, provides good heat more economically, is attractive to potential clients when renting. Also many people do not realise you shouldn't hang clothes on electric heaters, so they may end up breaking the heaters or even worse causing a fire!!!!!

Shropshire is a very rural county - no gas to be had for miles around guys, only Calor or LPG.

Currently its an all electric property, small rooms, open fire in the lounge. We are thinking of installing a wood burner in the lounge, and looking at the Dimplex Duoheat for the upstairs rooms. Agree electricity is not the best option, but as the house is so small I was hoping that the Duoheat units running on Economy 10 would not work out too expensive.

Sponsored Links
would it be possible to install a wood/pellet burner with a C/H & H/W built in, then use the electrics as backups or top up during milder weather??

would it be possible to install a wood/pellet burner with a C/H & H/W built in
Some clients of mine did just that but they are retired and can spend all day keeping the fire going and foraging for logs etc.

It works well for them but it means plumbing in rads.

it means plumbing in rads, but works well, even if you work, just needs to be kept lit over winter using a combination of dry and damp pellets/ blocks it can be kept at a low smoulder for well over 12 hrs, then just open up the air vents, throw on some fresh, dry fuel, and its roaring in a couple of minutes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back