new electric pull cord fitting smells

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, do new electrical fittings sometimes smell of slight burning.
i put wires into exactly same holes that they were in on the old pull cord fitting,but new pull cord fitting is giving off a slight burning smell when the cord is switched on for 5 mins or so,can this happen with a new electrical replacement fitting?
i replaced the pull cord because the ceiling light kept flickering when first switched on,that problem seems to have been fixed with the new pull chord,but i'm very wary with electric smells?
can it being a new fitting thats causing the smell?
thanks j.h.

Sponsored Links
I would suspect a loose terminal.

Have a look and see if there are any signs where it might be overheating.

hi, do new electrical fittings sometimes smell of slight burning.
i put wires into exactly same holes that they were in on the old pull cord fitting,but new pull cord fitting is giving off a slight burning smell when the cord is switched on for 5 mins or so,can this happen with a new electrical replacement fitting?
i replaced the pull cord because the ceiling light kept flickering when first switched on,that problem seems to have been fixed with the new pull chord,but i'm very wary with electric smells?

If the only load is a normal light, then I would not expect a poor connection to a light, to generate much heat at all. I have a rather good nose and often notice smells from newly unpacked items, could it be that you can smell?

Sponsored Links
i dont think so ,but thanks, after thinking a while,maybe it could be the new bulb that i put in,ive smelt new bulbs before for a few days.
thank you all anyway,hopefully it will stop after a few days.
j.h

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back