New fence. Dig hole and cement or use metal spike???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I plan to fit a new fence on my front garden. I don't yet have either a post hole digger or some gravel and post fix for digging.

Given the cost of these items still yet to be sourced I wondered if it would be easier/cheaper to use metal spikes for the posts instead?

I have never used the spikes before or know anybody who has that I could ask for their experience of using them, so I hope I might get some friendly advice on here.

I realise that the spikes would need to be hammered in and I do have a 14lb sledge hammer.

Any advice please?

Sponsored Links
Only my opinion, but metal spikes are fine if the earth is sound - but if they hit a bit of stone down there then nothing happens......
Digging a deepish hole, post in, support it with random stone then get in there with the concrete, well tamped down - I'm no fan of postcrete either.
Mind you, its windy where I live!
John :)

Thanks for the quick reply :D

Would I need to buy either an auger or one of the post digging tools I have seen? im guessing if I used a spade it would make too big a hole in diameter and then that would need more concrete to fill.

I dont know but I am guessing that buying some 25kg bags of cement would be cheaper than post fix of the same size? I do have a mixing paddle that I could use in a large bucket and mix the cement. Would it be that much cheaper doing it this way?

Any thoughts?

Having just looked at the prices 25kg of Rugby post fix is the same as a 25kg bag of normal cement.

It seems that post mix would be simpler/easier for me them.

Sponsored Links
Again, just personally I'd use a spit to dig a hole for the post, and use a concrete mix using portland cement with plenty of aggregate.
I dont like postcrete because it sets at unbelievable speed (5 minutes is all you get)....I prefer a wetter mix so that the concrete can be tamped down. Up to you, really!
John :)

my personal opinion is that metal spikes are ok for fences upto 4ft, anything bigger and the wind will win. As for hit rocks, you can dig a hole and hit a big rock.. that's just pot luck. And the postcrete i have used (with respect), always took longer than 5 mins to go off.

What size and length of fence is it?

My opinion, always postfix, just as cheap as spikes if not cheaper, and more secure, stronger, dig down a few feet and slap it in then back fill.

As said above, you never know whats underneath for the spikes ;)

Oh and if its only a low fence, under 3 foot, then i have in the past used one bag for 2 posts ;)

good luck.

Thank you for the response :D

1 bag per post, that's good news too as it'll save a little bit of money and mean i'll probably be able to get all the bags I need into the boot of my car.

So I just need a post hole digger? or one of the hand turn auger things?

Any advice here please :confused:

No need for a special post digger mate, just a good solid spade will do the job, infact i had a cheap garden spade that the handle snapped and welded a 4 foot length of steel tube to, better than any post tool i have ever used, good and heavy for digging down.
You mite do with a long jimmy incase you get a stubarn bit.

wayne ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back