New food mixer tripping my mains fuse but not another's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello, I've tried to see if this type of problem has been answered in an earlier thread but can't find an answer....
I've just bought a brand new table-top food mixer with a strong motor and used it twice successfully. I then did two consecutive dough mixes and I suspect the machine overheated causing the internal temperature gauge to switch it off and the house to fuse at the main fuse box. Now the mixer causes my house to fuse whenever I simply plug it in (I don't even get to start it). Sent it back to dealer and it works fine with them without tripping their electrics. Consequently they say there is no problem and will not entertain replacing the machine. However I can't use it as it trips my electrics! Machine is still with dealer.
Is it likely to be the machine or sensitive electrics? Should I ask them to run any specific test on machine?
Any advice welcome

Sponsored Links
What exactly was it tripping out?

Was it the MCB or RCD? In the picture below, the RCD is on the left, MCB in the middle and it's just a switch on the end.

CPN_Products(1).jpg

If it's the RCD that was tripping, it could be that their sockets in their workshop are not protected by one, or it is less sensitive than yours. Ask them to try it on either an RCD protected circuit, or one protected by a different RCD (if possible)

The food mixer is almost brand new and faulty, you are well within your rights to request a refund or replacement.
Even if you did overload it!
Electrically: Did you try the mixer in different socket or on a different RCD protected circuit. assuming it was an RCD trip? could also be worth doing a ramp test on the RCD!

Sponsored Links
Write to them threatening legal procedure and expences. That item should not trip your electrics even if your rcd is a bit over sensitive. The earth leakage should be no where near the magnitude to trip the rcd. You will win in small claims and you can file on line. It saves having meaningless arguments about whether it trip thier electrics at the shop counter, that isnt a valid test and they should know it. Refusing legitimate sale of goods and service act claims is the sure sign of a dodgy outfit

Thank you for all your comments. I attach a (dark) photo of the switch - I think from the photo options Iggifer posted, it's an RCD.
I tried it in different sockets but on the same circuit in the house and it tripped the fuse each time. I tried the lead in a computer and lead/ plug were OK.
The problem is I know that however sensitive my electrics might be, that still indicates a problem with the machine. Because the machine is working without a problem back at the uk dealers, the Danish manufacturers hare not accepting any responsibility. I don't want to fall out with them as I really like the machine and that is why I posted to check all angles have been covered before I decide how to deal with this- including, if you think it's wise, getting my electrics checked. However no problem with anything else in the house....
image.jpg
what is a ramp test?

If you dont want to fall out with them - get someone to pat test the machine and rcd test the rcd. Then you can tell them in a more friendly way that their machine has a fault and here is the proof..,,

A ramp test, test the rcd by increasing the earth leakage current and displaying the value at which it trips, it can tell you if it is trigger-happy

Another possibility is that you have other items in your house which have some leakage current, but not enough to trip the RCD, and the slight additional leakage from the mixer is the last straw, that makes it trip.
I agree with Martin, get the machine PAT tested, and get your RCD checked.

Another possibility is that you have other items in your house which have some leakage current, but not enough to trip the RCD, and the slight additional leakage from the mixer is the last straw, that makes it trip.

That is possible, so turn everything else off and try your mixer again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back