New government consultation on classic and modified cars

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys, just a heads-up for everyone on here. This arrived in my "work" inbox just now. Looks like an informal government consultation on the future process for registering (among other things) classic cars. If there are any classic car buffs on here, this may be of interest, so I just thought I'd spread the word.

https://assets.publishing.service.g...stering_historic_classic_rebuilt_vehicles.pdf

Absolutely anyone can respond.

News story here:

Call for evidence launched on how to future-proof classic cars and back drivers.

Sponsored Links
I have connections with the local heritage railway, and with special events we are hosts to classic road vehicles, I was rather surprised on talking to the owner of a Scammell Scarab to find he could not register the vehicle, it seems British Rail scrapped it, and it was recovered from the scrap yard, however as it had been scrapped he could not re-register in the main as no front brakes, they never had them.

In the rail community there is also a problem pulling passenger trains with old engines, this beautiful example DSC_8983_tonemapped.jpg has some hidden secrets, like a compressor in the first truck and some hidden brake controls, one needs to look carefully to find them, but there are additions to make it safe.

This DSC_9049_tonemapped.jpg sounded and smelt wrong, I am sure it was diesel powered, and at that style it would have been petrol.

The old cars were not so bad, but old motorcycles the brakes were not that good, I remember a Bonny which came into the garage and own let me ride it, I said after you could have warned me how poor the brakes are, to which he said these are some of the best brakes you can get with twin leading shoes, so I let him try my Yamaha RD200, and he came back and said I know what you mean now.

I have connections with the local heritage railway, and with special events we are hosts to classic road vehicles, I was rather surprised on talking to the owner of a Scammell Scarab to find he could not register the vehicle, it seems British Rail scrapped it, and it was recovered from the scrap yard, however as it had been scrapped he could not re-register in the main as no front brakes, they never had them.

In the rail community there is also a problem pulling passenger trains with old engines, this beautiful example View attachment 343037 has some hidden secrets, like a compressor in the first truck and some hidden brake controls, one needs to look carefully to find them, but there are additions to make it safe.

This View attachment 343038 sounded and smelt wrong, I am sure it was diesel powered, and at that style it would have been petrol.

The old cars were not so bad, but old motorcycles the brakes were not that good, I remember a Bonny which came into the garage and own let me ride it, I said after you could have warned me how poor the brakes are, to which he said these are some of the best brakes you can get with twin leading shoes, so I let him try my Yamaha RD200, and he came back and said I know what you mean now.

Your mate should be able to re-register the Scammell. it won't need any more brakes than it had when it was built. There are lots of veteran cars on the road with only rear brakes. If the vehicle was recorded by DVLA as havig been scrapped, then it can't get its original number plate back, but DVLA keep a series of "period" registrations, so if he can convince them of its age and authenticity, (which will need the cooperation of the relevant enthusiasts' club), he'll get assigned another registration number from the same year.

Sponsored Links
Back