New Home has a Shepard Homelift Evalator - HELP!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our new Victorian home (Staffordshire) has a Shepard Homelift Evalator (which I believe dates from the 1940s) and I'm looking for general help/guidance as what to do with it!! :?:

Other than the lift looks visually appeasing (with a lovely wooden concertina door) we know very little about it.

- It provides access between the ground and first floor.
- It is currently at the first floor level.
- It is not connected to the mains electric (it was apparatenly not included when the property was rewire 2006).

I would suspect there is a lot of red-tape involved in operating an elevator and there are safety implications (we will soon be parents). I either need to make it safe or have it removed.

As much as I like the look of it, I think removal is looking favourable as it frees up useful space on two floors.

Are these sort of lifts valuable (for sales as spares or repair) or it is scrap value? Again, would be a sad day as it is quirky! If only it decending into the cellar - it would then have a (child friendly) home for lift!!

Anyone got any ideas about safely lowering the lift and who can do it?

Sponsored Links
They do lifts with baths in?

screenshot_180.jpg

:confused:

Sponsored Links
If memory serves me right Hammond and Champness either produced or maintained Shepard lifts in the UK in the 1960's 70's

There was an old old folks home ( old home for old folks ) in my home town Walthamstow that had a Shepard lift and Champers maintained it. Maybe it was because the company was in Walthamstow.

One old dear said using the lift was like lambs to the slaughter as a bad shepherd would.

Bear in mind that given its vintage, that asbestos brake linings may be present!

Yes AlanE - looks very much like that - although we don't have the telephone shelf - lol!!

Carefully strip it out and sell it.

There must be some nutter somewhere that collects lifts :)

WANTED: Crank handle!!

(Better get the torch out and see what size/shape of drive sits inside the hole) :idea:

It was an age where doctors advised smoking for quite a few different things, and when tars became a concern, one manufacturer put out a filter which contained blue asbestos

"The past is another place, they do things differently there"

What things from now will be picked up in 60 years time with a expression of disbelief?

Diesel cars, domestic Solar PV, widespread use of MDF, electric vehicles

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back