New hybrid alarm recommendations please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all

We have a Gardtec Ace house alarm which was fitted many many years ago and I want to upgrade it to a smart alarm.

Currently it does 5 PiRs, 1 door contact and wired outdoor bell box. And apart from the yearly battery change on the control unit, it’s been fine.

been looking at a hybrid system as I could do with adding one more PIR in the house plus future expansion and for this, wireless would be fine as don’t really want to run new cabling. And I’d want to make use of the current 5 wired pirs that is already fitted.

I’d want IP and GSM modules, an outdoor wired bell box and possibly an indoor siren too.

I’ve been looking at the risco lightsys2, pyronix euro 46 and the Texecom hybrid offering.

It will be fitted by a professional but I’d just wanted to pick a decent alarm first before asking for quotes.

which one shall I pick ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
We install Texecom and Pyronix on a daily basis. Both of these control panel have a few niggles. Texecom software has some bug issues and the connect app has server issues.
Connection to Pyronix app is a chargeable product and Texecom is free currently, but may start to charge for this.

Sponsored Links
We install Texecom and Pyronix on a daily basis. Both of these control panel have a few niggles. Texecom software has some bug issues and the connect app has server issues.
Connection to Pyronix app is a chargeable product and Texecom is free currently, but may start to charge for this.
Thanks. Which one would you choose say for your own house ? Which model should I be looked at ?

I am not aware of the layout of the property.

I would say Texecom Premier Elite.

All systems have had issue from time to wrt to there servers/ notifications some of which have been also been caused by the updates to the phones firmware in recent times.

WRT to bugs you tend to find bugs when things fall out side normal operations.

For example Texecom part four times and the guard access zone doesn't work, its not a usually process to part arm 4 times in sucession but some people do.

There were several temporary solutions to that issue and a fixed firmware was released over a week ago have been told its not an official release as yet.

I have no real preference and whilst many are free now they wont be in the future.

The more specific you are the more specific a solution can be offered.

Last edited:
Have a look at Orisec equipment.
I have been installing this for 2 years now and find it excellent. Used to install Risco for 16 years before that so it was like a breath of fresh air!!
Pyronix are also decent but cannot comment on Texecom as iv never used them but their kit looks good and I do like the the Richochet technology.
Each installer will have their preferred kit.

At the moment I am not recommending Risco products at all. This is due to recent experiences.

With Orisec there are lots of things I like, however an end user cant purchase the equipment, fairly sure an end user cant purchase Lightsys2 either.
If you use Texecom gear, then there are some similarities in programming.

Touch screen keypad is fantastic, and with an uploaded picture it can look like an illuminated picture frame until you come to use it.
The new internal speakers are interesting and have different coloured LED's, so could be used for those that are hard of hearing to know whats going on.
Not sure how that works if deaf and colour blind mind

Last edited:
At the moment I am not recommending Risco products at all. This is due to recent experiences.

With Orisec there are lots of things I like, however an end user cant purchase the equipment, fairly sure an end user cant purchase Lightsys2 either.
If you use Texecom gear, then there are some similarities in programming.

Touch screen keypad is fantastic, and with an uploaded picture it can look like an illuminated picture frame until you come to use it.
The new internal speakers are interesting and have different coloured LED's, so could be used for those that are hard of hearing to know whats going on.
Not sure how that works if deaf and colour blind mind
Touch screen keypad is fantastic

is this the Orisec ?

in the case of this thread yes, but there are other units which now use tablets like the Pyronix enforcer and one of Riscos offerings where you can also view cameras etc but there are limitations. So you may want to be more specific about ones needs in a new thread. this one being over 2 years old and all and things are changing regularly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back