New Intergas Boilers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone installed an Xtreme or Xclusive Combi Boiler.
How do they compare to the Eco RF36. What is the financial justification for paying the extra for the new models?

There is some information on the Intergas website about boiler efficiencies, but no indication of the likely annual savings and therefore payback time for the extra cost of the new models.

Sponsored Links
Haven't fitted one yet (I think @Dan Robinson has, and @Razor900 definitely has) but the basics are:-

Xclusive - centralised flue, dual OpenTherm inputs, built in expansion vessel, combined condensate and pressure relief, internal condensate trap, and better modulation

Xtreme - as above plus flue gas heat recovery for increased efficiency/better hot water performance

Likely annual savings is hugely variable from house to house and installation to installation, which is why they don't give any indications of this, but if it was me I'd spend the extra £100-150 on what is after all a long-term investment

Thanks, that was my thought but I have a couple of concerns.
The Eco RF is a well proven, reliable unit.
Are the new ones going to be ok or could there be a problem when they go into service. (I have that issue with my Vaillant 937. F81/91 fault keeps occurring intermittently. About 50 cold showers over the last 2 to 3 years and it’s now going in the bin)
Why does the Xtreme only have a 7 year warranty

The new ones will be absolutely fine - they're all-new but still very much based on the same proven design Intergas have been using for over 20 years. They were originally due to be released two years ago but have been held back for additional testing and R&D prior to release - that's an additional two years of test bench time running at the extremes of their operating range.

No idea why the Xtreme has a shorter warranty! I'd expect both boilers to last 20+ years

Sponsored Links
The shorter warranty is because of the added complexity of the flue heat recovery (corrugated stainless steel pipe through the rear flue riser).

It's still 2 years longer than any other boiler with integral FHR. AFAIK.

In my view, one of the best features of Intergas boilers is its compactness. For example, they are perfect if you need one installed in a cupboard. Assuming the dimensions on their website is correct, the Xclusive is breaking tradition in that regard, and why they need that extra space I wish I knew. So if compactness is important to you, I would suggest sticking with the tried and tested Eco RF or, if you can wait until Q1 2019, the HRX.

Last edited:
Thanks for the comment.
Space isn’t a particular issue as it’s going into a utility room, but I can wait a few months if necessary
Do you know the details of the HRX

In my view, one of the best features of Intergas boilers is its compactness. For example, they are perfect if you need one installed in a cupboard. Assuming the dimensions on their website is correct, the Xclusive is breaking tradition in that regard, and why they need that extra space I wish I knew. So if compactness is important to you, I would suggest sticking with the tried and tested Eco RF or, if you can wait until Q1 2019, the HRX.

No way is the HRX being launched that soon more like 18 months away

Anyone got a link to the Xtreme manual...can't find anything on the Intergas site.
Had a look at one today...looks like they're using a Wilo Yonos pump and integrating the pump electronics onto the main boiler pcb...to save space or cost?
In the past a few manufacturers have done that with fans and often a fan fault wipes out the board too...not good.

In the past a few manufacturers have done that with fans and often a fan fault wipes out the board too...not good.

The interfaces between logic / processor circuits and field circuits (*) on the PCBs fitted to boilers seem not to be fault tolerant.

(*) field circuits being circuits connecting to fans. pumps, sensors etc

Getting back to the control board, is this potentially going to be a problem?
Am I better going for the tried and tested Eco RF 36 at the lower cost, or paying more for new Xtreme with better efficiency but not yet proven in the field?

Getting back to the control board, is this potentially going to be a problem?
Am I better going for the tried and tested Eco RF 36 at the lower cost, or paying more for new Xtreme with better efficiency but not yet proven in the field?
Go for the Xtreme - as I alluded to previously, these have been hammered in accelerated bench testing for quite a long time now to iron out any issues before they hit the market

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back