New keys and locks needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi my daughter has just moved and looking to replace the 2 doors cylinders, can I ask how do I measure replacements

Attachments

• FE4C1DC4-F9BB-44D2-8FE3-36D206C3D60D.jpeg
    FE4C1DC4-F9BB-44D2-8FE3-36D206C3D60D.jpeg
    228.3 KB · Views: 59
  • C52766A8-66B8-4A7E-981A-C959AE12038F.jpeg
    C52766A8-66B8-4A7E-981A-C959AE12038F.jpeg
    176 KB · Views: 49
Sponsored Links
I believe that you just measure the length of the cylinder. To remove them, take out the single screw that holds it in place (from the door edge). Put the key in an twist it slightly, that will let the locking lug move to the downward position and enable you to remove the cylinder. You don't need to remove anything else.

The lock type is a euro-cylinder.

eg https://www.screwfix.com/p/union-6-pin-euro-cylinder-lock-45-55-100mm-satin-nickel/5371g

The above is just intended as a guide and not a product recommendation.

If it is a front door, does the inside have a thumb turn?

Again, just a link, measure yours first.

Thanks will go down tomorrow and measure it, don’t think it has the thumb wheel on the front door, although the back is key inside. Can I ask if I have to renew them any point in changing the inside from key to thumb wheel?

The thumbturn means it can be opened from the inside without a key

Useful in an emergency such as a fire

But if there is an opening that a hand or simple tool can access, such as a letterbox or breakable glass, so can a burglar outside.

Sponsored Links
The thumbturn means it can be opened from the inside without a key

Useful in an emergency such as a fire

But if there is an opening that a hand or simple tool can access, such as a letterbox or breakable glass, so can a burglar outside.
Thanks will talk it over with her

Sorry can I ask is this a 50-50 or a 45-45 ?
Thanks

Attachments

• EE5FD332-F18E-4BE6-AB79-8ECD00E8F9AD.jpeg
    EE5FD332-F18E-4BE6-AB79-8ECD00E8F9AD.jpeg
    651.2 KB · Views: 52
You measure to the centre of the screw so it looks like a 50-50 as listed at Screwfix as "50-50 (100mm)"

But if the end of the old cylinder poked out of the door, try to get a shorter one that will be flush with the escutcheon on the outside

(You sometimes see the 10mm central cam measured separately, then it would be a 45 -10-45)

Last edited:
You measure to the centre of the screw so it looks like a 50-50 as listed at Screwfix as "50-50 (100mm)"

But if the end of the old cylinder poked out of the door, try to get a shorter one that will be flush with the escutcheon on the outside

(You sometimes see the 10mm central cam measured separately, then it would be a 45 -10-45)
Thanks it was the central cam that was throwing me, Screwfix looks like it’s 50-50 but Toolstation looks like 45-10-45

If you are buying new cylinders, then best to get them suited or keyed alike, so that the same key operates each cylinder.

And remember to get the anti-drill and anti-snap type. Look for TS007 standard and 3 star - although the star rating requires other ironmongery to comply too to make it a 3-star system.

Be careful about installing 'Thumb Turn' type - your house insurance may be affected (or even invalidated). The company I use have a specific question about such locks and load the premium if Thumb Turn locks are fitted.

If you are buying new cylinders, then best to get them suited or keyed alike, so that the same key operates each cylinder.

Good point. I have four locks at the back of my house to work off the same key. I dislike carrying great bunches, or not having the right one to hand.

Can I ask where do I look for the matching keys
Ultion cylinders come to mind. Either direct, or a local lock smith that is an agent for them. Then once a key is registered you only need that number to have keys or cylinders made in the future, and no one can cut a key without your permission.

Ultion cylinders come to mind. Either direct, or a local lock smith that is an agent for them. Then once a key is registered you only need that number to have keys or cylinders made in the future, and no one can cut a key without your permission.
My local locksmith will happily cut such keys with proof of ID and utility bills and completion of a form. I'm now registered with them to make it easier each time.
Makes a farce of the whole system

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back