New Kitchen and Electrical Extraction??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Just fitted a new kitchen and the BI wants to see electrical extraction before signing it off. Firstly, why do you now have to do this as well as comply with every other poxy rule they've brought in, the worlds gone mad?!?

Anyway, back to my question - I have bought the ducting kit but it's approx 5" di - how the heck do you get that through a wall!?!?

Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
You can either drill a series of hole in a circle with a long masonry drill, smash it out with a hammer & chisel, or better still hire a core drill from your local tool hire shop, they are not expensive to hire & well worth it in terms of saved effort.

Thanks, didn't know core drills came that big. I drilled the waste pipe for the sink through the wall using a core drill (2") and it took me bloomin ages!!

Will have a look at how much they are to hire!!

HSS want 60 quid for the drill for one day - a lot of money for one hole (and no - I haven't paid more for a hole elsewhere!!!).

I've got an SDS, might go with the series of holes and chisel idea!!

Sponsored Links
Surely they have made a mistake, you can hire one in this area for £25. :(

I queried this with them, they said it's because I need the diamond drill!? Think I'll still go with the small holes/chisel idea, save myself a few quid although it might be a bit messy??

Cheers!

A five inch diamond tipped core drill isn't that expensive from Machine Mart, however the drill to drive it safely is, you need enough power and a decent clutch otherwise you risk a broken wrist.
And it does take a long time.
A series of holes in a circle is a lot cheaper.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back