New Kitchen Sink - Ceramic or Metal ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

How stain resistant are white ceramic kitchen sinks? Are they easy to keep clean? We were looking at new sinks and the white ceramic ones look to be sturdy compared to the stainless steel sinks that have that awful "drumming" sound when you tap them.

The only concern putting us off a white ceramic sink is how much they are likely to get permanently stained?

Rgds
Jack

Sponsored Links
With care they stand up to wear and tear quite well.....however they are far from scratch resistant and the scratches show up black in time.
I think it's a big no no to use Brillo pads or similar on the surface......just like steel sinks.
John :)

I hate ceramic sinks - if you drop anything breakable into it, it will break. Glasses and plates will bounce in a stainless sink. To avoid this, you'll be using a plastic washing up bowl in the ceramic sink. Not only will this drum worse than the stainless, it'll look pants too. And, if you're not careful, you'll get horrible stains under the washing up bowl...

Ooops, sorry! I'll get off my soapbox and get my coat...

Sponsored Links
I love the drumming sound on my stainless steel sink, I normally do that when waiting for the kettle to boil :LOL:

I have a ceramic sink, and its very solid. Dropping a pan into it wouldn't damage it I don't think.

Stainless ones only sound 'tinny' and flex when they are cheap ones, the good ones are a lot more solid.

To make a stainless steel sink quiet, wrap gaffer tape around the underside.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back