New laptop to wireless ADSL

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help / advice please.

I have had a laptop connected to my new Belkin ADSL.
A friend of mine set it up as I am not PC savy.

He then downloaded the set up details for a future pc/laptop onto a usb stick. This set up was accidently opened when searching for files.

Now I want to connect another laptop to the Belkin ADSL but when I run the program from the stick, it says it is the information is unusable.

The files etc are still there but will not run.

Is there anyway of reloading the program for future use.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Not trying to be unhelpful, but the details you've given are a bit vague. Assuming the wireless router does not broadcast it's SSID then all you need to create the connecton is the SSID and security (probably WEP) key. Also, is your friend not available to help again, it normally only takes 1 or 2 minutes to connect to a wireless device if you have the correct info.

do you have and exact error. try again and copy in exactly what its says.

Try
right click file
select 'open with'
select 'choose program'
from the options select 'notepad'

might help

why not ask your friend?

they will know better than us exactly what you have

Sponsored Links
mmm... if you have a belking wireless router it will either have wireless security through WEP (or some other protocol), MAC address filtering (a strong form of security based on the physical address of the wireless ethernet card) or it may have no security at all.

Any wireless device connecting to your Belkin ADSL router should be able to detect the wireless network (subject to the router having SSID broadcast enabled).

You should be able to either set the WEP key in the wireless network settings of the PC that you are trying to connect to the network. If not, then go to the router using a web browser (http://192.168.1.1 or http://192.168.0.1) and temporarily disable the WEP security settings. Your PC should be able to detect the network and connect. Get you friend to show you what he/she did and write it down step by step - do it for your self so that you become more familiar with it next time. :eek:)

regards

Back