New Light added

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've added a new light onto my circuit by wiring in the new fitting to an existing ceiling rose that was controlled by a one way switch (the new fitting is also controlled by a 1 way) problem I'm having is-

I can't turn the new light on without the one the powers taken from being on as well, if its already on at the switch, both come on fine but if i turn the new one on it turns on both lights on and they flicker intermittently.

I've wired them up as per another forum on here the red/brown to red/brown on the middle 3, the black/blue on the other three with the switching cables being the black/blue to the two position and the red/brown on the midde 3.

Hope someone can give me some advice and that I've made sense

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you have taken the live for the new light from the switch live on the original fitting, move the new cable to the centre terminals and it should work.

Thanks for the reply i'm still not sure though

I have the red cable from the switch, the power and the brown from new rose in the center 3,

then on the other 3 I have the blue from the new rose and the black from the power as well as the from the light it's self.

And in the 2 section I have the black from the switch and the brown from the light.

I just changed the wires on the new ceiling switch so now its red to common and black to L2 and now the new light will only turn on if the other is off. When i turn it on and the other is off it'll turn on followed by the other a few seconds later and then it starts to flicker?

Sponsored Links
photo's...
a picture paint a thousand words or so they do say..

we want close up and clear ( use Macro function on camera ) pictures of the old and new ceiling roses, and the back of the old and new switches..

from the looks, the original installer messed the wires up.. the 2 blacks are the wrong way round.. while this makes no difference to one light, you're using the switch wire as a neutral..

swap the 2 blacks round at the original ceiling rose..

if you have a multimeter, you might want to find which is the switch wire, but as they are different sizes you can probably tell by looking..

is the wire at the switcht the thicker of the 2 or the thinner one?

oh and PLEASE sleeve the earth wires at the new switch and the new rose..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back