New light on ceiling rose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have an existing wall switch and one light for a toilet and I wanted to add another light for understairs cupboard using the same switch. I understood I could come from existing ceiling rose.

I expected a power and light cable. Is this a straightforward job. One part of the ceiling rose has a section for 2 wires ( 2 screw terminals) but both are used for blue neutral from cable in and then a short lead on other screw terminal to actual light fitting. The middle loop terminals are empty and the 2 brown lives on the other side.

House is 2.5 years old.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Probably wired with the other cable at the switch - you should find there are 2 cables behind the switch, with the brown cores connected to the switch and the blue ones in a separate connector.

Are you intending the new cupboard light to be controlled by it's own seperate switch?

Or are you content for it to come on with the toilet light?

What wiring do you have at the toilet switch?

Sponsored Links
Ok is it still possible to connect from existing ceiling rose?

If I understand your description properly, ONLY IF YOU'RE HAPPY FOR THE CUPBOARD LIGHT TO WORK WHEN THE TOILET LIGHT IS ON.

You may have more luck getting the power from the existing switch.

Is there a fan in toilet?

If so, you may be able to get power from here or the fan switch if there is one.

Is it difficult to get the supply from the light switch then?

If you do have both lights on the same switch, it would be sensible to get a light for the cupboard, it would be sensible to get an enclosed one (with a cover over it) in case something stored in the cupboard makes contact with it.

The light switch is quite near to cupboard so I will open up and check wiring. I expect to see a power in cable and light out cable, so I may be able to get a double switch to seperate power.

Part P basically says that electrical work must be carried out in a safe manner. So, yes!

If your question is "does any of this work need to be notified to the Local Authority" then the answer is no.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back