New light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just changed a light in my front room. On the old fitting it had a long type terminal block with 3 reds, 2 blacks together, a single black and a yellow wire with all the earths connected together and a blue and red connected together in the ceiling. So I connected the 3 reds together, the 2 blacks which went to the neutral on the light, the single black goes to the live, the yellow is on it's own and the earths are together. Now I've managed to take the switch in the room out and the front room light turns on with the hallway. Any ideas what I've done wrong? I'm trying to do it myself without pestering the sparky at work again.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
When the two lights are on are they dim or normal brightness?

Do you have just the one light in the living room?

Are you certain you had a black that went on it's own?

Sponsored Links
Yes I left the blue and red as they were. I definitely kept the individual black as I put some electric tape around the coating when I took it out. Both lights (the hallway and the new one in the front room) are both dull nowhere near the brightness they were.

Before you do anything check you have circuit breakers/fuse wire/spare fuses in case altering the wiring blows the circuit.

Make a note of the black wire you say was separate.

I think the black should go with the other blacks,
and the yellow to the live terminal of the light fitting.

Remember to isolate the power first.

2 negative ratings for a link to the site Wiki.

My, we do have some seriously petty children loose on this site.

Ban all sheds what??? Thank you for pointing me to the diagram, however as it was missing half the wires I mentioned I had, wasn't much use! Negative comments? Where?

Sparkwright thank you very much for your help. In the end the electrician we use at work finished a job early and popped up to sort it out. However even with his 35 years experience took him a while to work it all out as whoever wired my house did it in a very strange way. It's now all working though and on the brightside the next light I had to change has only 3 reds, 3 blacks and the earths hopefully I can do that one. Thanks again for the help.

Ban all sheds what??? Thank you for pointing me to the diagram, however as it was missing half the wires I mentioned I had, wasn't much use!
Sorry - at a quick glance it read like the cable-saving method...

Negative comments? Where?
icon_minipost.gif
15th August 2010, 19:45
thumb_down_mini.png
Rated: -2 Post Subject:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back