New loop in system - adding low volt spots

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there - you'll have to excuse me if i dont know the lingo! plumbing and heating is my thing...

i going to be buying a house soon and will be doing a full re-wire (ring circuit - few spurs and a loop-in system on the lights) - all will be signed off by a registered sparky prior to switch on

my question is - i plan on having low voltage dimmable spotlights in various rooms and am wondering how they would connect to a fresh loop in system? shall i give them a seperate feed off of the consumer unit? or spur them off of the loop in? or would it be easier to run them off of a ring main spur?

if anyone has or knows of any basic diagrams it would be done it'd great to see them as i've found little visual info on the net and haven't a clue at the moment how to connect/link them to the power

many thanks for your time :D

Sponsored Links
Since your rewiring, take the lighting circuit live and neutral to the switch, join the neutrals and take a switched live and neutral to the lights. No junction boxes required. In other words, your looping in at the switches instead of at the lights.

- all will be signed off by a registered sparky prior to switch on

It doesnt work like that.

I don't know if Corgi folk will come and just sign off a gas boiler and plumbing system that someone else has done?

Registered electricians can only certify work that they have done themselves. Some will test and sign off work that they have supervised from start to finish.

Involve a registered spark now. Get one at www.competentperson.co.uk

- all will be signed off by a registered sparky prior to switch on

It doesnt work like that.

I don't know if Corgi folk will come and just sign off a gas boiler and plumbing system that someone else has done?

Registered electricians can only certify work that they have done themselves. Some will test and sign off work that they have supervised from start to finish.

Involve a registered spark now. Get one at www.competentperson.co.uk

i like to KNOW (not think) that i am capable of carrying out tasks in my own home following building regs, this does go tow in tow with making every i do safe - i see you have popped up on many forum discussions offering nothing but poor criticism and little advise. with respect (and i do mean respect), unless you have some information regrading my subject (not regs not 'i told so') please dont comment on any of my posts as it really adds nothing that i am unaware of already - remember this is a DIY based site, not a Registered Engineers Discussion Group :arrow:

Sponsored Links
Pshooter - tt is trying to save you a big hassle later on. To comply with Part P (which assuming the property you are buying is in England or Wales you have to), the only way to do it is to notify the local authority building control (LABC) in advance, pay them a notification fee (usually around £100, sometimes a lot more depending on which LABC it is), and then have them come out and test it.

Members of a self certification scheme (ones are run by the electrical organisations such as NICEIC, napit etc), can self-certify their own work, and notify this to the LABC via their scheme provider for a tiny charge (about £1.50 a job I believe). However, they are not officially allowed to sign off on work they haven't done themselves. You may find an electrician who is happy to have you do the labour intensive work under their direction (i.e. they tell you exactly what routes to take cables, what size cable, etc etc), and then they come in and do the terminations etc - but obviously this would have to be negotiated with one before you start doing any work. If you find an electrician who will sign off work they haven't designed / directed, then they are breaking the law.

If you don't do this right, and don't get a building regs completion certificate, then you will likely have trouble when you come to sell your home, as more and more solicitors now are asking for completion certificates as part of the conveyancing process. To get one for work already carried out carries a regularisation fee, with the possibility that building control will demand things are changed (which might require lots of redecorating etc) before they issue one...

For more info, see the wiki: //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:part-p

hi - all work will be signed off by friend whos business is niceic, i'm literally seeking information to save me contacting him every other day... this seemed like a suitable place for that

If you are expecting him to sign it off then you must ask him, not take the advice of a forum and then try to justify your decision to him later.

hi - all work will be signed off by friend whos business is niceic, i'm literally seeking information to save me contacting him every other day... this seemed like a suitable place for that
Is he actually going to lie for you? Criminally falsify documentation? Or just check it out afterwards?

Friend or no, he's putting his business at risk if he does the former, particularly as he must realise you don't have a clue about it.

what can i say guys??? i'm simply after information about how low voltage spots link to a switch! instead theres seems to be a barage you saying the same thing... being a gas fitter myself i can understand where you are all coming from... i would never connect or commission any appliance or system that i have not gone over and checked with a fine tooth comb.. thats not to say i would do it for anyone.

i think any further comments regarding any legal aspects are OTT - I GET YOUR MESSAGE LOUD AND CLEAR!

I would be carrying out the work as planned/plotted by him, to current regs - he will be connecting the consumer unit and nessicarys afterwards and overseeing my work day by day..... as in my previous post - no more i told you so's please as this aspect has nothing to do with you - it seems like a reasonable request to me :rolleyes:

i'm wondering whether any of you come on here to share information or whether you just come on here to police people because works is over for the week!.. either way i couldn't care less after posting just one question!!!!

Steve gave you an answer in the second post of how it can be done, but it isn't fair on your mate for us to give advice and then expect him to sign it off.
Just as you think his signing off isn't anything to do with us, our methodology is nothing to do with him.
If he is putting his name to it then let him make the decisions.

thankyou for the links Pen... exactly what i'm after, i'm slowly navigating my way around the site but had yet to find the info

i'm wondering whether any of you come on here to share information or whether you just come on here to police people because works is over for the week!.. either way i couldn't care less after posting just one question!!!!

thankyou for the links Pen... exactly what i'm after

I'm glad you're finding the information useful. Excluding me, most of it was written, drawn or posted by the regulars above. ;)

If you are effectively working under his supervision and direction then that will be fine.

Given your line of work you ought to understand exactly why people said what they did, at a point when you hadn't said how closely you'd be supervised, only that a mate was going to sign it off for you when you'd finished.

BTW - do you mean LV lights, or ELV?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back