New newel or not to new newel?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is what I'm dealing with. Anyone tackle a similar project before?

20170614_175551.jpg
20170614_175556.jpg

The post is 70mm x 70mm which will be replaced or extended/made good with a 90mm x 90mm post. I'm considering several approaches but wondering if bolting flat steel bars may be the easiest work around. Steps 1 and 2 are giving me headache! Any other opinions?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20170614_175615.jpg
    20170614_175615.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 259
Sponsored Links
I had exactly the same challenge, and that pic could almost be of my hallway.

Unless you are really good at carpentry, I wouldn't try to replace as that base is probably integral to the staircase.

I cut the old post level and I used a 25mm dowel to attach a new post cut to the right length and lots of glue. It is rock solid once the rail was attached.

Cheers

G

Thanks G

I did consider larger dowels but as it's softwood, wasn't sure whether it was sufficient for long term lateral strength. Surely they weren't fitted like this?

I've drawn up a plan and was considering bolting the lot together with a mild steel bar. Is this overboard?

I've also still got 10mm to add on to the existing post all the way around to make up to 90mm x 90mm unless I find a 70mm x 70mm post. I thought this might also help structurally but will probably be some work scribing in the string, treads and risers.

newel post 002.jpg

newel post 001.jpg
s-l500.jpg

Sponsored Links
This kind of staircase was often just a straight post, so any woodyard should be able to shape and supply a newl post to the correct size. if you can cut and trim the old and new post to your design, then use a damned good wood glue, and then finish it off with a cuple of dowels.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back