New plaster coming away from wall

Hi Steve. where we are we get, Builders sand (Brick and block laying) Sharp sand (which is plastering sand for inside and outside) and Concreting sand So might be different names for it in different parts of the UK..If we ask for plastering sand we get sharp sand.;)
hi roy I'm not sure that sharp sand is washed ? This is what I was taught anyway a few years back I had bags of all three in my yard so I done a silt test on all three sands , the building sand had the most silt it was like nearly 15% could have been as much as 20% sharp sand was next with something like just under 10% and the plastering sand was something like 2 or3% and silt is a big contibuter to shrinking and cracking, if sharp sand is washed then I'm wrong its just that I've never heard of washed sharp sand so when you ask for plastering sand you get the sharp sand with large grains? And is it washed?

Sponsored Links
Yep pepsi bottle filled with water. Gone back today to have a look and its worked a treat, no cracking just yet and all looks good.

Hes pva the new render that was put on yesterday and started plastering even though you shouldn't really pva walls where damp was previously but we'll see what happens.

Yep pepsi bottle filled with water. Gone back today to have a look and its worked a treat, no cracking just yet and all looks good.

Hes pva the new render that was put on yesterday and started plastering even though you shouldn't really pva walls where damp was previously but we'll see what happens.
are you confusing yourself or us? You said he used a Pepsi bottle and the wall has cracked now you say its worked a treat? Well if he's skimmed it day after you may me alright but if there's any shrinkage your skim will craze

At first he used a small spray bottle of flash but with water and now he used a 2 litre pepsi bottle with holes on the top and drench the walls fill bottle up twice. At first the bricks would just absorb the water so he filled up the bottle again so in total threw on 4 litre of an area of 2 to 3 sq meters and this time round it didn't crack.

The render seemed very dry considering its only been only 1 day since he rendered it but he pva the walls before skimming just in case

Sponsored Links
Hes called and said hes finished.
Is there anyway of telling if it will stay on the wall or is it a waiting game?

Ive taken some photos.
You can see the were the render scratches through the multi finish is this because the plaster is still wet and once it dries you wont see them? Its the lines where he's
20160407_233453.jpg
20160407_233746.jpg
used a render scarifier?

You often see the lines grinning through , feel them if they are they flat? You are only supposed to give a light key not go to deep, I hope you haven't paid him yet look at your skirting line its terrible and the walls have great big fat stains on them

Im having new skirting 7" so should cover that. The marks are water marking i suppose from when he was trowelling the plaster smooth.

Im having new skirting 7" so should cover that. The marks are water marking i suppose from when he was trowelling the plaster smooth.
Watery fat stains dripping down the wall have you measured the distance for skirting? Should have got it tighter than that a good spread with have cut it in a straight line about 2 in from floor

It is what it is Steve you pay peanuts you get monkeys!! Obviously he got a monkey!!!!

Ive paid good money for this hes not cheap. Yes hes left around 4-5 inches from the floor and skirting is 7inch so should be all good. Ive tried putting a piece of skirting against the wall and looks flat against the wall.

There's going to be hardly any backing for the skirting to sit against making it awkward Adam I feel for you mate you have already paid out good money once and now you have again and tbh its not great you can see from the corner angle its not straight , its not very nice for us here at diynot either to see this sort of thing, you can see not much effort has been put into your job the bottoms are awful and the sloppy fat that's not been troweled off, corners not straight ect we say it as it is here at diynot we've seen it all from really bad jobs and some good jobs sadly yours falls into the 1st category

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back