New plaster coming away from wall

Paid 625 thats with my own material 2 chinmey walls upto 1 meter up and a bit around the front door

Sponsored Links
If I lived by you I would have done it for nothing or just enough to get myself a drink.!! I hate seeing people taking advantage of people... :(

You should have said you live nearby i would have given you the job. Where abouts are from? If i or any mates of mine after a plasterer i will give you a shout.

I never say where I am and at the moment I have got full time work, which is quite varied, Have'n't done any plastering for a while as the guy I work for has a lot of properties and we are sorting out drains at the moment, Variety, the spice of Life.....Check out my Media items and you will see what I mean..;)

Sponsored Links
An amateur looking job. Just by looking at the completed wall, you can see it's been done by someone who hasn't really got much of a clue. As Steve says, the thick coat corner bead that he fitted is nowhere near straight/plumb, (was it a thick coat bead)?. The render has been scratched far too deep, by the wrong type of tool, should have been a "scratch (devil) float", with a "small" nail protruding "just enough" to provide a key. The render/plaster should have finished lower, about a couple of inches from the floor level, (max), to give the skirting a good fixing/backing. The overall look of the job says a lot. A newly plastered wall should have a neat look about it, with nice regular sweeps of the trowel up the wall or across, depending on your choice. I always prefer to rub up/trowel up the way, others might prefer to go across.
By troweling here and there, runny cream ( not good), too much water when trowelling, trowel running in all directions, makes a job look patchy, dog rough.
I suppose it's a better job than you had done the last time, and it's not falling off,, but it's still very poor quality, especially for the amount you paid.
I hope by the time the skirtings on and it's all decorated, it'll look ok.

Last edited:
I hope so.. will probably have to pack behind skirting. I have always been told not to plaster below the dpc so i told him to finish just on the last brick mortar line. I agree the job could have been better but as long as it stick this time round i will be happy

Hi didn't. he said render needs to come. He plastered 1 meter high around chimney wall in 2 reception rooms bricked up both firplace too. Hes left a airbrick at the bottom as chimney not in use.
Does the chimney need to be blocked off the top? Can i put a paving slab on top of a mortar bed and completely block it of at the top?

I quote you from an earlier post where you say he's not charging much more for the extra render?

Last edited:
Yeh most of the quote was for plastering. I think he was charging £70 extra to render but said if he was to plaster on old render there is no guarantee it wont fall off like it did before so i thought may as well pay the extra £70

He's taken you for a mug with those prices £70 extra for float that means he's quotef you £555 for a skim up to a metre, and the floating is the hardest bit , it wouldent t be so bad if his work was good

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back