New power supply to garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to run a new power supply to my garage which is about two metres from my house. The current supply is basically spurred from the kitchen ring, through the wall and then on to the garage via a catenary wire. The most it supplies is a freezer, a light and power hand tools. However, I have recently done away with my electric shower so now have a 30A supply going spare, (although it will be de-rated to 16A) which I would now like to use to feed the garage. The consumer unit is in a cupboard inside the house but mounted on an outside wall. I can thus take the new supply cable straight through the wall. However, I then need to get the cable to the garage which is probably 10 metres from the point where it comes through the wall. Burying the cable is not an option due to the type of drive and obstacles such as drains and steps. Therefore it will need to be clipped to the outside wall at a height of around 300mm and then run via a new catenary to the garage. The reason for the low run is that the house is predominantly pebble dashed with a 300mm bare brick skirt below this and I would rather clip to a flat solid surface than the potentially damaging and less stable pebble dash. My question is, what cable should I be using for this and should I be using conduit? Is there anything else I need to know? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
There will be little advantage in doing as you propose.

I suppose the present garage circuit is limited to 13A so 16A will not make much difference.
Unless you mean there are no spare ways in the CU, the non-use of the shower is irrelevant.

There is probably quite a lot more you need to know.
The work will be notifiable to the Local Building Control so I would suggest that you discuss the matter with them or a registered electrician who can notify it for you and complete the necessary paperwork.

All I am saying is that there is now a spare way from t my CU which was not there before. I do not need a 30A supply to the garage so would change the breaker to 16A and select cable size accordingly. Running the garage supply from a dedicated circuit in the CU must be preferable to what I have now.

All I am saying is that there is now a spare way from t my CU which was not there before. I do not need a 30A supply to the garage so would change the breaker to 16A and select cable size accordingly. Running the garage supply from a dedicated circuit in the CU must be preferable to what I have now.
If it aint broke, don't fix it and save some pennies.

Sponsored Links
There is a benefit to having the garage on a separate RCD but if the shower is on the same RCD as the kitchen ring then there is little point in making the change.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back