New rings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just moved into a new house built in the 60's with a severe lack of plug sockets. Apart from the kitchen all sockets in the house are on 1 ring main. The consumer unit is new and has spare 32 amp mcb's.
Can I run 2 new ring's (upstairs and downstairs) myself and get an electrician to test and sign it off for me. I am in the building industry and consider myself competent enough to do the installation.
I am having real trouble finding a definitive answer to whether an electrician can or will sign off others work.

Cheers
Phil

Sponsored Links
Short answer is no, an electrician can only sign off work they have done themselves via their schemes for compliance with the building regs.
You may do the work yourself but that will mean notifying your LABC prior to starting and paying them to oversee compliance with the building regs.
On the other hand you may find an electrician who bends the rules.

Sponsored Links
And when he gets caught, and they go back over his history of false certifications?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back