New roof just done (is this a bodged job?)

ask them to correct the issues first.

how did you pay?

bank transfer

I mentioned the tile gauge issue and he explained it was due to the size of tile I had chosen! (I didn’t have too much knowledge to reply, but I do now)

Sponsored Links
Looks like a Marley modern in the pictures .
The roofer controlled the gauge.
With in Marley recommendations .
I would insist it's all corrected .

Were they v a t registered? Did they charge you vat ?
If so check the government website to check numbers validity..

Looks like a Marley modern in the pictures .
The roofer controlled the gauge.
With in Marley recommendations .
I would insist it's all corrected .

Were they v a t registered? Did they charge you vat ?
If so check the government website to check numbers validity..

The quote (which is just a list of things to be done written in plain text in an email) didn’t specify any VAT; when I asked verbally if the price included vat he said it did (which may mean ‘you don’t have to pay it but neither do I...’)
I paid on a personal account; he said because he’s a sole trader
Still haven’t seen any receipt
He agreed to send his guy to discuss the problems

he said it included vat therefore you should have an invoice showing his vat details, being a sole trader has nothing to do with it.

can i ask how much you paid?

Sponsored Links
it needs stripped and done properly.
Doubt they are capable, unfortunately you have to give them the opportunity to rectify.
Where did you find them? They are not tradesmen.

it needs stripped and done properly.
Doubt they are capable, unfortunately you have to give them the opportunity to rectify.
Where did you find them? They are not tradesmen.

Rated People (an app designed to put customer in contact with tradesman, but that apparently will remove any bad review, as I just found out for another job I had done)

What should I reasonably expect them to do?

Remove all the tiles and do a half bonded pattern or just rectify the tile gauge on one side?
Would this involve moving all the battens slightly higher? Can the felt be reused?

You could get the Marley rep out for comment. I don't suppose the firm registered for the Marley warranty, but you'll get a formal opinion which the roofer should abide to.

Otherwise you'll need to pay for a professional report, and consider legal action.

The thing to remember is that a new roof should have about 60 years life, and parts of yours will have life in single figures - months for that verge. And you won't ever get the roofing firm back, and that's if they are still around.

Strip the whole roof, renew the membrane, set out the roof to the proper gauge, renew the lead around chimney.
As it stands the job they have done is not fit for purpose! They are masquerading as roofers.
Those websites are self serving, better finding tradesmen at your local roofing/ builders merchants or word of mouth.

I just had my roof redone
This was done by TCI Homes
Is that the one on Rated People ? I looked @ one , same name in Nuneaton . I don't think they can spell very well, judging by their write up:unsure:

Strip the whole roof, renew the membrane, set out the roof to the proper gauge, renew the lead around chimney.
As it stands the job they have done is not fit for purpose! They are masquerading as roofers.
Those websites are self serving, better finding tradesmen at your local roofing/ builders merchants or word of mouth.

Why does the membrane need to be replaced? Is it because by moving the battens they would leave the nail holes in it? If so, wouldn’t it be best to double up/add new battens where needed for the correct gauge?

It might work out that the batten can stay. The correct gauge batten might miss theirs.
That way the underlay could stay.. if it has been correctly fitted is

It might work out that the batten can stay. The correct gauge batten might miss theirs.
That way the underlay could stay.. if it has been correctly fitted is

While we’re at it, I have pictures of that stage as well
C6FB8BBB-D711-4713-A5B6-A9B2384F9D40.jpeg
EDF7B224-6E10-4697-9D38-EAF262EEC19C.jpeg

C6FB8BBB-D711-4713-A5B6-A9B2384F9D40.jpeg
30373B82-A562-4543-935B-92F427D5F5EF.jpeg
56DB4453-A21B-4C64-A3F4-75BC74D419B7.jpeg

Have you checked to see if they are indeed VAT registered? If they charged you VAT they should have given you a VAT receipt with their VAT number. If they didn't then I would be inclined to contact HMRC/Excise.The government don't care if you get ripped off but if you paid 20% on top via VAT, the tax man wants his cut. From personal experience the police don't care but the tax man does (given that the work was done, albeit badly).

Oh, and does your bank statement show the true name of the account holder? I ask because last year, I was ripped off by a dodgy builder that paid me via a business account at Llyods bank. When I asked Llyods for more info about the business account they gave me loads of bs about the data protection act. I told them that the data protection act only applies to private individuals, they still refused to help me.

I emailed the information comissioner's office. They actually rang me back, rather than emailing me to tell me that I was correct and that Llyods bank should have told me who the business account was registered to. I didn't chase it up, I was only 2 grand out of pocket.

I hope you get things sorted. I am not overly confident though. Best/worst case scenario you probably wont get your money back but someone might go to prison for VAT fraud.

If you pm the name of the person/firm, I will do some digging but I am still in "hey the pubs are open and I haven't seen my mateX for months" though.

There are number of genealogy sites that will let you have free data search access for a month, you might be able to find out where they live BUT you may then find that that they have a number of unfulfilled CCJs at their parents' address. An address that no one can ever find them at because their scummy parents shrug their shoulders when the bailiffs turn up.

Google "toby smith cowboy builder harefield"- The toad that ripped off my stoopid girlfriend-there are lots of people that share the same name name- he took 3K from my GF and did no work. She found him on the same provider that you found your "trusted tradesperson".

Sorry, I appreciate that all I have done is provide you with a path to screw over the people that look like they tried to screw you over. No one on this site has tried to defend then. That in itself is very telling..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back