New roof just done (is this a bodged job?)

Jeez, are we having new photo's weekly of more defects?

12 days into the saga, whats happening regarding the recall to fix the work?

we called them twice to have them come and rectify the first issues we spotted

they ignored us, so I was writing a recorded delivery letter citing the Consumer Right Act 2015, the things that I would like them to fix, as suggested by citizens advice; unfortunatley it looks like we have to give them the chance to rectify the work ( or ask for a compensation of up to 100% of the price paid, but I think they need to try and fix it first)

And this was before I discovered the leaks

I really don't want them to fix it...

I also don't know how to find a good roofer in the area (Warickshire) (I don't want to trust online reviews anymore)

Sponsored Links
Losing confidence in the roofer is a valid reason not to requre them to return and to seek another firm. The fact that it is leaking adds weight to this and makes it imperative that you seek another firm who is able to attend as soon as possible.

All costs can be recovered from the original roofer in any county court claim

Have you involved your insurers for legal advice and possible taking this up on your behalf? Or for some approved contractors who work with them.

Try Solihull Roofing Services Ltd. They are a reputable firm, but I don't know if they work in your area. Or your council (Trading Standards/Consumer Protection dept) may have an approved list, or contact the Housing or Property Services Depts and ask if they can recommend one of their contractors. Or try www.ageuk.org.uk/about-us/what-we-do/age-uk-business-directory/

I guess I also need a lawyer?
You don't need a solicitor to take claims to the small claims. In fact its intended for non-legal representation and the judges are helpful and just want to listen to what's gone on. There are no costs win or lose just the application fee - which you add to the claim value.

But what does help in a case like this is an expert report from a suitable independant person.

Check your home insurance for what services are available under the policy

Sponsored Links
But what does help in a case like this is an expert report from a suitable independant person.

Check your home insurance for what services are available under the policy

Just checked, they don't do that...

Ask at a roofing merchant for names of key account holders.
The guys behind the counter will know who is ok and who is iffy

After sending the letter, he’s coming today to see what his guys have done.

I just need to understand how the chimney flashing should be done so that I have a strong argument

How are you supposed to stop water getting between tiles and flashing, if the flashing is above the tiles, especially on the top part of the chimney?

I was looking at this video (I know it’s not a tiled roof but it gives the idea of what I mean) and this guy is caulking between the roof and the flashing

How should this be handled on tiled roofs?
23BA96EE-0F9F-40F0-87B9-550CE32DD0D8.png

On your chimney the back gutter should extend under the ridge tile as well as being 300mm wider than the chimney. The side flashings should also cover at least 150mm of tile. Google Calder Lead Flashing, its a useful pdf showing how it should be done. No sealant necessary between lead and tiles/slates, done right gravity does the work

On your chimney the back gutter should extend under the ridge tile as well as being 300mm wider than the chimney. The side flashings should also cover at least 150mm of tile. Google Calder Lead Flashing, its a useful pdf showing how it should be done. No sealant necessary between lead and tiles/slates, done right gravity does the work

ah, I see what you mean, my chimney is close enough to the ridge so the lead goes below the ridge tile, makes sense

45BEA646-7289-4807-9D57-46DCA9A5B35D.jpeg 2A2C0E91-CA61-4465-8861-90753F5B6117.jpeg

Ask at a roofing merchant for names of key account holders.
The guys behind the counter will know who is ok and who is iffy

And if the roofing merchant says "I'd like to tell you but I can't because of the data protection act", politely inform them that the DPA only applies to private individuals. Anyone who has a trade account clearly holds it as part of their business activities and is therefore not classed as a private individual.

Update, the owner of the firm has come to have a look and has agreed it needs to be-redone; he’s also said he sacked the guy who was in charge of the job
They shoud be back in 10 days, fingers crossed

And if the roofing merchant says "I'd like to tell you but I can't because of the data protection act", politely inform them that the DPA only applies to private individuals. Anyone who has a trade account clearly holds it as part of their business activities and is therefore not classed as a private individual.
What a load of twaddle.

Of course they will point someone in the right direction.
It happens all the time

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back