New roof technology

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Has anyone heard of U-Roof? www.u-roof.com

Any opinions? Experience?

They have just quoted me for a replacement roof structure and the cost is so reasonable I am very tempted but don't want to buy a betamax video (I bet nobody remembers those).

So please tell me your thoughts on this idea.

many thanks

Neil

Sponsored Links
I don't see how producing this metal can be more 'green' than using sustainably sourced timber - I can't see any practical advantage of using it unless the cost is significantly lower than timber.
Wouldn't fancy fixing it personally, too many snaggy bits
Cold bridging could be an issue.

Anything steel has a relatively limited lifespan and inherently difficult to repair or adapt when used in this type of situation

The "50 year" structural guarantee may sound a long time but is in fact a sign of its limited life. Consider .... timber roofs are still around from centuries ago and will be around for many years to come

OK, you say, I wont be around that long. But when you sell either the buyer will be put off, or the surveyor will be or worse still the lender to the prospective buyer will be. It could be classed as a system/non traditional build and that would not be good for future saleability

But having said that, if costs are comparable with timber then it may well be worth considering. But check for proper BBA or similar accreditation ... the accreditation inferred on their site does not mean jack

This type of c-channel steel rafters are used on industrial units and superstores etc and lasts about 30 years and gets replaced when the cladding panels do

What is the cost then? Looks like a spam post to me.

Sponsored Links
This was about when I did my nvq college course 15 years ago, the fact that I've never seen or heard of it since then until now should give you some idea of its popularity and use.

Must admit that its been a lon time since I've read such a load of unsubstantiated twaddle as the stuff on that website. It really belong up in our very own GD area - that's how bad it is :LOL: :LOL:

Must admit that its been a lon time since I've read such a load of unsubstantiated twaddle as the stuff on that website. It really belong up in our very own GD area - that's how bad it is :LOL: :LOL:
Please justify your statement, being the roofing expert you clearly are I shall sit back and enjoy your extensive reply.

I'd maybe suggest getting in touch with the company asking them to substantiate their claims if they are so off the mark?

Hi,

They have just quoted me for a replacement roof structure and the cost is so reasonable Neil
Have you got quotes from carpenters :?: Are you in E. Sussex , do you want a quote ;) . Have you thought about selling the property with it`s steel roof :idea:

The product has a 50 year warranty although what warranty does a timber truss come with? Gang nail plates, galvanised nails etc would be "susceptible" to the same issues the steel roof is although the timber is fine because they've survived hundreds of years?! The hot dip galvanised steel sections are NOT at risk of rusting or rotting - especially when used in a warm roof environment. The company has provided me with evidence of extensive salt water testing and the 50 year warranty is simply a figure put to the product. It appears a 50 year warranty has been construed as a 50 year shelf life in some cases? The product is used by some volume housebuilders and has been approved to NHBC specification - thats good enough for me in terms of the properties future saleability!

Pointless system, what about the condensation that forms on the steel?

This system can't be adapted or modified unlike timber!

It costs more than timber, it even says that on there website, why would you go for a more expensive inferior product that can't be adapted?

So in summary avoid this like the plague.
:mrgreen:

The product has a 50 year warranty although what warranty does a timber truss come with? Gang nail plates, galvanised nails etc would be "susceptible" to the same issues the steel roof is although the timber is fine because they've survived hundreds of years?! The hot dip galvanised steel sections are NOT at risk of rusting or rotting - especially when used in a warm roof environment. The company has provided me with evidence of extensive salt water testing and the 50 year warranty is simply a figure put to the product. It appears a 50 year warranty has been construed as a 50 year shelf life in some cases? The product is used by some volume housebuilders and has been approved to NHBC specification - thats good enough for me in terms of the properties future saleability!

A timber roof doesn't need a structural warranty, as builders have been using timber for century's and the fact that timber roofs are still erect after century's is sort of enough warranty!

It gets my goat when companies like this think they have the best thing ever, when infact all they have is a more expensive inferior product. With no benifits over timber what so ever. You are welcome to give me some benifits if you like and I will happily shoot them strait down as there are non!

Steel framed roofing is nothing new. We've been doing flat to pitch conversions with them for years. Easy to erect once you've set out right, and usually sheeted in britmet or dekra.

We have put traditional tiling/slate on steel frame but its all down to how much the council wants to spend. Not heard of thus U Roof mob, but they seem to have a decent product. Removes whineging chippies from the process as well :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back