new router?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a home network for wireless internet, set up about 3-4 years ago on a netgear dg834. My pc was wired into via ethernet cable (i hink thats right!) Ive now moved my pc up into the office in the garden and using it off a wireless connector. Reception varies tremendously. We have two other pcs in the house as well. Distance to the office is about 20m with line of sight.

Recently upgraded the braodband to 2 meg through fasthosts (we use them as its through the home business blah blah blah!)

Is it time to update the router and if i do so would i get a better reception and also a faster service, as i think the router has a max speed of 54 mps?

Pcs are used for all the normal surfing stuff and also on line gaming when i should be working...sorry not working!

If so whats the best one to go for and easy to install as im a complete dofus!

Sponsored Links
Your web surfing and on-line gaming connection is limited by your broadband speed - in your case (up to?) 2mbps, so your wireless connection speed (11g?) of 54mbps is not a problem. You either need to resite the wireless router or try a better directional aerial for more reliable connection. I have updated to an 11n router and an 11n adapter for a desktop and this did improve the wireless link considerably.
Hope this helps.

i agree that a N series router and adaptor for your pc will improve the range.

alternatively you could pick up an older/cheaper 54g router, run it off the netgear via ethernet and place it closer to your office. this will cost from £11.

with regard to the speed provided by fasthosts, it is poor but as far as i am concerned they are just happy to take your money. God I hope they go bust-- sorry about the rant- i have recently been scammed by them and i am still peed off.

cheers chaps. Trouble with fasthosts is when we look at cheaper alternatives, we cant take the e-mail address in its current form to them.

Sponsored Links
cheers chaps. Trouble with fasthosts is when we look at cheaper alternatives, we cant take the e-mail address in its current form to them.

Get a gmail account or register yourownname.co.uk with 123-reg.co.uk for £3 per year, that way you will not be held to ransom by any ISP.

I can advise further if you are interested

oh, ... and before anyone points out that 123-reg and fasthosts are owned by the same parent company- I know- but one is honest and the other is scum.

Don't believe me just google "fasthost complaints" "fasthost refund" etc

well i put a new directional aerial on it, which has markadly improved the signal. Im still having a problem with the connection going down or the internet freezing and i have to go back and re-boot the router. Any ideas?

well i put a new directional aerial on it, which has markadly improved the signal. Im still having a problem with the connection going down or the internet freezing and i have to go back and re-boot the router. Any ideas?

Thermo get some

http://www.clarity.it/xcart/home.php?cat=255 or exterior grade cable

run it to office problem solved. £15.75 for 30m with connectors and boots fitted both ends. Ask in electrics if you want to do it regs eg clip/bury etc. and dont forget to make it vermin proof.

Back