new shower crossed wires??

hi riveralt
same shower---kinda
ah u have the memory of an elephant sir :)
that post it was a shower only in conception
i went the sensible route and put in a tank fed pumped electric,(mira elite st 9.8kw) a she looks lovely too!!
pity it doesn't do anything yet :(

Sponsored Links
It's a RCBO flylead in the wrong neutral bus. I'm amazed that no one else can work that out :rolleyes:

Granted the RCBO sounds like it's not required, but it's not going to do any harm now it's in, and the electrician went beyond being slack by not checking the shower actually works, but it's a simple fault to diagnose.

:oops: :oops:

I somehow seem to have missed those posts.

At least we all agree on what's wrong :LOL:

Sponsored Links
//www.diynot.com/network/dubdad/albums/9051/34794
there is a photo, sorry it too so long, i had forgotten how.

anyway looks like there will b some electricity in the air tomorrow, the sparks will fly as they say (have to watch my back though , he is a big fella)

looks nice and neat though, but it does seem as though the first 3 circuits are not covered by the rcd. WHY ??? OH WHYYYY????

getting to the stage where i don't trust tradesmen any more. at least in england there still seems to exist professionalism, think that all got destroyed here in the 'celtic tiger' boom years, where sloppy workmanship was rewarded with big cash, sigh :(

so to finish up and i would like to thank all for their contrubitions and i think i can safely assume i will be within my rights to give this guy a good bo*****ing tomorrow and ask him to re-arrange the components on the CU ??

Didn't he check it worked as well as carry out the electrical tests before he left?
Why would he not do that if he knew WTF he was doing?

Cannot understand why the electrician didn't commision the shower - it is one of the requirements for testing.
Why would he not do that if he knew WTF he was doing?

It may be a case he has connected the shower neutral to the wrong neutral connection in the cu. Or something along those lines.
Why would he do that if he knew WTF he was doing?

If that's the case, then I think it's very likely that he's connected the RCBO to the wrong neutral.

Sure someone can make a 'mistake' but also 'forget' to do about 8 tests including even the most basic tests that anyone could do (like testing the shower and the RCBO)?
How could he forget all that if he knew WTF he was doing?

It's a RCBO flylead in the wrong neutral bus.

//www.diynot.com/network/dubdad/albums/9051/34794
there is a photo
:rolleyes:

Here is a photo of my car:

wpid-1271874724_car8.jpg

Can you tell me why it won't start?

looks nice and neat though, but it does seem as though the first 3 circuits are not covered by the rcd. WHY ??? OH WHYYYY????
I don't know anything about the Irish regulations, but prior to our latest ones appearing in 2008 it was common (and acceptable) over here to have the lighting circuits not protected by an RCD - so that if one of the other circuits tripped the RCD, the house was not plunged into darkness. However, for your cooker circuit to also not be protected by an RCD is somewhat more 'surprising'.

getting to the stage where i don't trust tradesmen any more. at least in england there still seems to exist professionalism, think that all got destroyed here in the 'celtic tiger' boom years, where sloppy workmanship was rewarded with big cash, sigh :(
You don't have a monopoly. Unfortunately, the lone ranger and his assocaites are well represented in the UK as well!

Kind Regards, John.

OK OK
SOME PICS SPEAK A THOUSAND WORDS,
SOME NOT A LOT
the old tails would not reach the new cu so there is a dirty big connecting block tucked up behind the back-board until the network come out to connect the new tails into the new meter! yeee-haaa,
so i will not be having a shower while there is a chicken roasting in the oven until then 2weeks, probably a month if i am pessimistically real about it.

Where are the tails going in and out of the meter?
Looks like they go behind the board, doesn't it?
No. I can see some scarily small looking singles - nothing which looks remotely like properly sized DI tails....
I was leaving you to comment on the size (since I was sure you would like to) - but presumably those are the 'tails'! ... and exactly where are the incoming ones coming from (which side of the service fuse?!)?

... and what's that disappearing through a ventilator grille?

I think the lone ranger really does still live :)

Kind Regards, John.

the old tails would not reach the new cu so there is a dirty big connecting block tucked up behind the back-board until the network come out to connect the new tails into the new meter! yeee-haaa
JFC.

Who did that?

Your uber-competent "electrician"?

so to finish up and i would like to thank all for their contrubitions and i think i can safely assume i will be within my rights to give this guy a good bo*****ing tomorrow and ask him to re-arrange the components on the CU ??
You would be barking mad to let him into the house ever again.

He's not killed you yet - don't let him have another crack at it.

Sounds like you need a COMPETENT electrician!
. . . . . . . .
what-he-said_ani.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back