New to Gardening

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The hedge between mine and my neighbours front garden does not appear to have even foliage. A part of it is "woody"

Please see two pictures below

My neighbour says this is a tree and suggested cutting it down however, this will leave a large gap in the hedge

How do I get rid of the tree and replace it with a leafy hedge.

Thanks

1.jpg

2.jpg

Sponsored Links
How long you been there?

The cut doesn't look very old,

I'd be almost certain that will grow back over the spring/summer.

Get yourself a hedge trimmer..

I did that cut today to line up the hedge. But as you can see there is a lack of leafy green area. I am told this is a tree

I did that cut today to line up the hedge. But as you can see there is a lack of leafy green area. I am told this is a tree

It will grow back.

I cut mine back every year.

It'll take a few months, most likely the whole spring and most the summer, but it will fill up with green leaves.

The trick will be to regularly trim it so it then becomes bushy.

Sponsored Links
The Elder tree was a bit brittle, especially as you go up

Will the Elder tree create a leafy foilage for the bush

It will send up fast growing stems up to 2metres long from the buds just below the cuts which will leaf up . the following year it will grow white flowers which will developed into berries

Thanks for you advise, it does not sound good for a bush dividing two properties

Hi,
Ash - smooth bark - is a fast growing nuisance, it puts a deep tap root straight down, it takes a bit of digging to remove. ( I have a big problem with this)
Elder - brittle - again fast growing, no strength, very leafy in summer.
Neither are good hedging plants.
The rest of the hedge looks likes common privet, popular hedging plant, fast growing, needs cutting at least twice a year to keep in good shape.
Semi-evergreen, should keep its leaves, unless a very severe winter.
Remove the 2 strangers, and plant a few privet plants in their place, bare rooted - cheaper - would be OK this time of the year, very cheap perhaps 5 plants for a £10, try a local nursery. You might be able to get a suitable plant from the existing hedge, have a look in the hedge bottom, I've done this.

IMG_1500.JPG

Tricky-Dicky thanks for your reply.

Yes I need something in the hedge which will produce leaves all year. How long will privets take to grow to 8 - 10 ft tall

Also anyone know what these two are.

3.jpg

4.jpg

Thanks for your reply

This is the plant / tree in bloom in late August

5.jpg

6.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back