New to PAT Questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i've just passed my PAT exam and have a few question.These queries are things I have thought of since taking the course and exam while looking at everyday items in and around work.i've looked in the information booklets supplied by collage but no joy,so please advise.
1 How do you test a kettle(class one)that has no exposed metal and a non removable ceramic cover over the element?
2 Is it acceptable to scrap of powder coat paint on various machines if theres nowhere to clamp on to or is it.
If anyone has another tips to how to get results from non PAT friendly appliances please let me know,Thanks very much. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
1. If it's cordless, you can connect to the earth contact on the base. But that's awkward when the kettle is on the base.... :rolleyes:

2. These appliances usually have somewhere to connect to: a screwhead perhaps?

As for non PAT friendly, isn't there a soft-test?

securespark said:
1. If it's cordless, you can connect to the earth contact on the base. But that's awkward when the kettle is on the base.... :rolleyes:

2. These appliances usually have somewhere to connect to: a screwhead perhaps?

As for non PAT friendly, isn't there a soft-test?
Thanks for your reply

suckyorange said:
2 Is it acceptable to scrap of powder coat paint on various machines if theres nowhere to clamp on to or is it.

:eek:

try it on your own washing machiene and see what your partner says, i think that will answer your question

Sponsored Links
1. The purpose of your PA testing is to ensure the users of the PA's don't come to any harm. So if you can't find any exposed conductive parts what is the purpose of your test? Apply some common sense (not taught in college) and do a visual on the mains cable between the plug and the base.

2. No it's not and once again if you can't find a good earth what's the risk to the user?

And don't forget to do you're own PAT when you get home to make sure you're not at risk when you turn the tele on ;)

Pensdown said:
1. The purpose of your PA testing is to ensure the users of the PA's don't come to any harm. So if you can't find any exposed conductive parts what is the purpose of your test? Apply some common sense (not taught in college) and do a visual on the mains cable between the plug and the base.

2. No it's not and once again if you can't find a good earth what's the risk to the user?

And don't forget to do you're own PAT when you get home to make sure you're not at risk when you turn the tele on ;)
Sorry as I'm new to testing i thought I'd ask as I wasnt naturally born with the knowledge like some people!!!

suckyorange said:
Sorry as I'm new to testing i thought I'd ask as I wasnt naturally born with the knowledge like some people!!!

Don't take offence as I am sure it wasn't meant.

Sadly some people fresh out of training and holding the "pass" believe they know it better than experienced people. They can be a pain in the neck at best and down right dangerous at times. It isn't their fault that training doesn't cover all scenarios.

As long as you keep an open mind and continue to learn you will succeed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back