New trusses and raising wall plate

I think you need to be a little more realistic on what's involved and how long things will take.

You probably can't control the delivery day, so what if it's raining on that day, and the days after. I think a random heavy shower day is often worse than it just raining all day as it's all stop start, cover uncover.

And "what ifs" play a big part in the plan going to plan or not. At the moment everything is planned around everything being perfect, and even then it's really optimistic to expect this to be done in three days.
Truss company has said I will get a delivery day and time and yes I can only hope on the weather
The chippys do this all the time it’s there main job and they recon it’s doable to get them up in a day everything else will take time yes and if the ceilings get destroyed I’m not too bothered

Sponsored Links
I think you need to be a little more realistic on what's involved and how long things will take.

You probably can't control the delivery day, so what if it's raining on that day, and the days after. I think a random heavy shower day is often worse than it just raining all day as it's all stop start, cover uncover.

And "what ifs" play a big part in the plan going to plan or not. At the moment everything is planned around everything being perfect, and even then it's really optimistic to expect this to be done in three days.
Truss company has said I will get a delivery day and time and yes I can only hope on the weather
The chippys do this all the time it’s there main job and they recon it’s doable to get them up in a day everything else will take time yes and if the ceilings get destroyed I’m not too bothered
How is a Hiab going to reach the furthest point of the building?

You have a diagonal bracing headache too. You either sheathe the whole interior with ply or deal with the 4"x 1" bracing timber thickness accordingly. Diagonal bracing must connect to the wall plate.
As my house is all on its own he can get the lorry right upto my house
Chippy said they can be braces temp once in then they can be braced properly as they have something to work off as in a floor

Sponsored Links
Its 5am crane arrives at 8am then the truss lorry. I'm worried about my extended plates we have the option to externally strap down as we are going to have some external insulation.
My scaffold went up just after Christmas.
IMG-20220201-WA0000.jpg

Its 5am crane arrives at 8am then the truss lorry. I'm worried about my extended plates we have the option to externally strap down as we are going to have some external insulation.
My scaffold went up just after Christmas. View attachment 259662
Well having taking some of my roof off
My house has no straps at all on the original roof which is shocking as it’s only 15 years old
So looks like I got to add them now as well which means damaging all the bedroom walls

IMG_20220203_090524.jpg

Stressful day. Artic took 6 attempts to get into road. Full on wheel spinning

Attachments

• IMG_20220203_164705.jpg
    IMG_20220203_164705.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 94
3.65 mtrs all in
How long did you have the crane for
Mines comming on the 14th ish 4.2 meters tall
Got the crane for 4 hours but I have only 9 singles and 2 doubles to get up on the roof
The rest is cut on site

I have raised my wall plate by 75mm as to clear the old ceiling joists

Crane and delivery was here at 8am we had the truss lorry unloaded by 10am then had all trusses up by 1.30. Crane driver gave us a hand to place the first ten trusses by hand and he went about 3.30

Crane and delivery was here at 8am we had the truss lorry unloaded by 10am then had all trusses up by 1.30. Crane driver gave us a hand to place the first ten trusses by hand and he went about 3.30
Oh I only have the crane for 4 hours but don’t seem to have as many trusses as u I have 9 singles and 2 doubles only
There will be me and 3 chippys that do trusses roofs
For A living fitting them so I’m hoping it’s long enough

Stressful day.
Know the feeling.

Our raised tie trusses were huge (8m wide!) and heavy. The triples weighed 270 odd kg's.

The crane driver was brilliant and had to negotiate overhead cables. On one of his return trips to load another truss he started lowering his chains. The chains brushed harmlessly passed an overhead cable as the chains descended. There was also a redundant hook with one of those safety clips attached. I watched in horror as the hook brushed passed the cable and then went..SNICK..as the overhead cable sprung into the hook.

Fook.

The cable was 6m in the air.

I got myself a long piece of batten with a piece of wood fixed at the top. I then had to get the crane driver to orientate the hook so that the pressure of the cable was trying to exit the hook. I then waggled my stick frantically trying to beat the hook clip to free the overhead cable. Thankfully it sprang free.

You don't need that added fun when hoisting up massive trusses in an enclosed space, especially when the sky is full of rain.

Oh I only have the crane for 4 hours but don’t seem to have as many trusses as u I have 9 singles and 2 doubles only
There will be me and 3 chippys that do trusses roofs
For A living fitting them so I’m hoping it’s long enough
Well all in by 3
And covered up bloody weather

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back